Ball Drive Set Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just an FYI. After a couple tanks the boots rip. POS's. Other than that, these things work awesome. I'll have to see if the FG boots will fit.

Okay, the boots ripped basically on the first run. I replaced the outer boots with some HPI boots. The HPI's are bigger, so what I did was tear/cut around the original boot that goes over the outdrive part only, slid the HPI boot on and it grips pretty well. Hopefully I can test it out tomorrow with some results.

I knew someone would ask..... No! :)

I thought about it last night while I was in process, but I didn't want to go inside and get grease on everything I touched to locate the camera.

I have the Carson CRT but with an FG diff fitted (Carson one exploded) so i'm guessing http://www.rc-car-online-shop.de/cgi-bin/cosmoshop/lshop.cgi?action=showdetail&artnum=carson_306007&wkid=27775&ls=e&nocache=1188063607-15388
would not fit, I know the Carson out drives don't fit as i had to replace with FG ones so I guess I would need to go for an FG set can anyone confirm. I'm having real problems replacing the dogbones as they are 107mm in length so far the only place that have these is Tower.

Thanks

Last edited:
I have the Carson CRT but with an FG diff fitted (Carson one exploded) so i'm guessing http://www.rc-car-online-shop.de/cgi-bin/cosmoshop/lshop.cgi?action=showdetail&artnum=carson_306007&wkid=27775&ls=e&nocache=1188063607-15388
would not fit, I know the Carson out drives don't fit as i had to replace with FG ones so I guess I would need to go for an FG set can anyone confirm. I'm having real problems replacing the dogbones as they are 107mm in length so far the only place that have these is Tower.

Thanks

You would have to go with the FG set. The outdrives wouldn't fit your FG diff.

On another note, I ran my FHMT in a gravel pit at lunch. One of the HPI boots tore. Oh well, I don't think anything is going to keep those things protected.

The more I think about it, I guess I'll just have to run without the boots. That really sucks.

I know I can't go back to the FHMT stock dogbones though, I was breaking those like mad.

the CV boots are really cheap to buy Part # is 443906102G its from Audi/VW dealership...... grommet part........ or try Audi part # 967340

Last edited:
the CV boots are really cheap to buy Part # is 443906102G its from Audi/VW dealership...... grommet part........ or try Audi part # 967340

Thanks hellya, guess I can run to the dealer at lunch time and pick some up! Are these a little less prone to tearing?

Sorry about the lack of any update, but making boot molds is harder than I though. I am now at a mold that has been machined (we'll see).

But if you don't drive with the boots you will wear out the drives. The grit will damage the balls and wear the seats out as well, which will cause more damage.

Either way, you may want to revert to the bones until a better alternative comes out.

Well, I went ahead with the HPI Drive Boots again. This time I cut the large end off which made them significantly smaller and a lot more snug. I ran about a half tank so far without any issues. Hopefully this weekend I can run the truck for a tank or two and see what happens. I'll post some pics.

(Hellya sent me a part number to a VW part for these boots, but my VW dealers in town don't have them in stock, so I'm back to trying to get something to work better)

Hey CSP, FYI the Ball-drives are more efficient and less prone to tearing the shallower the angle of your arms are. if you run your arms at max ride height level your boots will tear easier. I know it sucks, but that is one way I have found the stock boots to last the longest by running at a lower ride height. Also I dremel'd a little more off the arms in the hub area of the arm so debris will not get caught between the arms and the boots and cause tearing.

Hope this helps a little

Hey CSP, FYI the Ball-drives are more efficient and less prone to tearing the shallower the angle of your arms are. if you run your arms at max ride height level your boots will tear easier. I know it sucks, but that is one way I have found the stock boots to last the longest by running at a lower ride height. Also I dremel'd a little more off the arms in the hub area of the arm so debris will not get caught between the arms and the boots and cause tearing.

Hope this helps a little

Yep, it does actually! I dremeled a little bit off the arm. I wish there some lower rear alloy arms for that thing. Something that has a bit less material near the drive boots....something less like empty space!

I'll be rebuilding my shocks so I'll lower the ride height and give that a try as well. Any help is appreciated, thanks db!

Well I ordered 4 of the 443906102G. Not sure if the 18 bucks I paid for four of these was worth it, I guess I'll find out!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks