Bartolone pipe installed on Losi Desert Buggy XL

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've seen a couple of the new Losi buggys running today, one out of the box, the other with a tuned engine, clutch and pipe - not too bad to be honest but I'd have to do a fair chunk of work to make it work how I want it to.

I also had a look at the Losi/MCD collabiration - it's a lot of money for a plastic car.

I've seen a couple of the new Losi buggys running today, one out of the box, the other with a tuned engine, clutch and pipe - not too bad to be honest but I'd have to do a fair chunk of work to make it work how I want it to.

I also had a look at the Losi/MCD collabiration - it's a lot of money for a plastic car.

Mike I'm new to the large scales but a long time RC'er and you lost me with your last line. Is the DBXL a collaboration between Losi and MCD or are you talking about something else?

Likely a collaboration, between manufacturer/importer and designer label, etc. Made in Taiwan, sold everywhere, by many brands...That said, the chassis is indeed 4mm hard ano'd. aluminum and far from being a "plastic car". It would eat any stock 5b in the bashing dept. Far more rugged. It does need to be gone over out of the box: Check the clutch for proper operation, air filter maintenance and blue thread lock on all metal -to -metal fasteners. Same with the HPI 5b really........or any 5th. scale I have run.

I know it’s an old post and hope to get a reply. I just ordered a bartolone pipe for my dbxl from DDM. After I ordered I found a few posts about the pipe heating up the throttle servo and frying them. Has anyone had this problem or found a fix for it?

I have a dem dominator on my dbxl, but yes it would help to put a little heat wrap on the pipe. I melted a bit on my cage. Had some exhaust wrap laying around. Wrapped it up. End of heat melting stuff problems

I have a dem dominator on my dbxl, but yes it would help to put a little heat wrap on the pipe. I melted a bit on my cage. Had some exhaust wrap laying around. Wrapped it up. End of heat melting stuff problems
Ok thanks I’ll stop by the auto parts store. Would the wrap also help with the servo heating up.

Yep I would say so. You can tell a major difference with the pipe wrapped.
Sorry about the delayed response been super busy with work. I got the pipe in a while back but haven’t put it in yet due to no time but hopefully tomorrow I’ll get a chance and try it out. I ordered some wrap and silicone spray from amazon that I plan to put on the pipe. Thanks for the advice.

No worries mate....busy is my middle name.
Yea I understand you. I put the pipe in but no wrap. I bought 2” wrap and I was able to get it on but didn’t like how bulky it was so I ordered 1” wrap to use instead. Came to Mexico to visit some family and took the dbxl. Pipe definitely made a difference. Was doing some hill climbs and managed to mess up the center differential. Guess I forced it and a gear blew a hole in the plastic housing. Lol time to upgrade I guess. Thinking about running a locker but not to sure.

I thought about that too but decided against it. Never know if a wheel will get in a bind.... just run really heavy diff fluid un the center diff.
Yea that’s my worry since sometimes I also drive it on the street in front of the house. What weight oil do u recommend for all three differentials just for bashing mostly.

So this is just my opinion. 100k front and rear 300-500k center. Although @evssv runs much heavier fluid in his diff. Maybe he can chime in here with his input. I just bash off road. So for on road I have no good advice.

Oh ok thanks and I mostly do off road also. There is a spot next to the city dump that is sandy and some great hills where we go and bash. Just do some on road at house if it’s been a while and want to check on things before going.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks