Battery explosion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRX1994

Hi, I do not have an hpi baja but rather the clone brand rovan.(sorry HPI guys, I needed to post this somewhere, it can happen to anyone). Today I must have overcharged the nimh reciever battery and one of the cells exploded about a foot away from my face. I noticed it smoking in the battery box and attempted to get the lid off so the damage would be minimal. < Worst idea I've ever had. The cell exploded, deafening me for maybe 10 seconds, so I got the fire extinguisher and sprayed the hell out of it. Ironically, I had just received the super bee remote kill switch in the mail 4 hours previously but had forgotten to get the mail which saved me 60 bucks, because otherwise I would have installed it once I got it. So, this is a warning... Don't over charge your batteries!

It happens, especially with cheap packs. You're lucky you didn't get hurt more. NiMh cells have a metal shell, so they can be like a little grenade. Was it the stock Rovan battery? Were you using a stock wall charger? Got pics of the carnage?

Last edited:
Lets face it, any power cell is dangerous - at least this time all you got was ten minutes free of the wife nagging......Mmmm thats got me thinking lol

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks