Bearings and WD-40

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wd-40 is a rust preventative solvent and de-greaser, so it can remove the grease from bearings if you are not carefull

should I spray the bearing with anything before I take it out for a hard bash?

i never sprayed the MT with anything and those bearings are now 35 tanks old and still going.

just thought it might be worth asking.

every now and again i strip mine down not bear just so i can get to most hidden bits i usaly give bearings a blast of wd40 just remove dirt ect then i use a bit of after run oil and soak them but like i say every now and again most of the time it gets blasted with a degreaser gun with hot soapy water in then blown of with air line then wd40 all over it wipe of excess put it back to gether then its ready for next outing

I use spray grease instead of WD40. Everything metal (inc bearings, drive cups ect) gets sprayed up after cleaning and it seems to work well. Maybe give it a try.

Attachments

• Spray Grease.jpg
    Spray Grease.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 12
I use a mini grease packer for all my bearings....Fast eddie has them...
push's out old grease ..in with the new..takes all of 30 seconds to do....
I do not use any oils..as they seem too collect drit & grim....As for me about every
5th or 6th tank I check my bearings...if need to be regreased or not..This is just my opinion...Slawhammer

I used WD-40 once on my hole baja! it looked so shiny...... :laugh:

then went to the beach...... you can imagine what it looked like after 5min of bashing :cursing:

I use wd40 to remove all the old grease before I repack them.
If you are running in wet or damp conditions make sure you check all your bearings the next day.
You can do some serious damage if they rust tight. Especially those Baja and FG Diff bearings. Locked bearings and plastic don't mix!!

hmm by the sounds of it wd40 cam do mora harm than good to bearings.

i bought this thing yeasterday from bursons called dissol, supposed to removed grime etc so ill spray it down with that and then hose off.

got this thing called dissol from Bursons, gets all the mud and grit off pretty well

took me 10 mins to clean the baja last night and the rear lower swing arms were so full of mud you couldnt tell where the arms started or finished.

bit expensive though, might try some heavy duty car wash next and see how we go.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks