body shell paint

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

golo-golo

hey guys,
i want to paint my 5t body shell in "Matt" Black colour (not shinny) but im concern that the shell is in gloss surface and will still looks shinny after paint.
any tricks can made it?
:rolleyes:

Saw where someone bead blasted the outside to remove the shine.

A friend "cleaned" his shell with lacquer thinner and it dulled the gloss finish to the plexiglas

Sent from da lower level iPhone using wanna Tapdatshit

General ideas sound spot on.
Be very careful with the bead or 'soda' blasting - needs to be enough to take the edge off but not damage the shell.
Anything chemical, may I suggest trying it on a 'spare piece' of lexan to see the effect - it may degrade the shell and make it brittle.

I used fine sand-paper on the roof of a Dodge Charger shell I fitted to an E-Maxx to give the 'vinyl roof effect' as the 'baddies' car in Bullitt, but you don't want to go there for an entire shell.

I like the blasting idea, but see what's available.
Nice idea 'though!!

Al.

Paint it on the outside...most polycarbonate paints are matt/flatt or satin...relying on the plastic for its gloss.

jp

Nice .... if you want it for a Shelf Queen.

You're going to bash it aren't you? (Say YES !!)
The whole idea of transparent Lexan bodies is that they are painted on the INSIDE with flexible 'Lexan paint' to avoid being chipped off any time you knock something.

Another thing is I DOUBT using fine Emery or similar is going to have any Matt Effect, as this is precisely how you're supposed to 'Key' paint to make it adhere better, to get that 'perfect shiny finish'.

Keep looking mate - you'll find something.
Try testing on NON-IMPORTANT Lexan off-cuts.

Al.

I agree there, however the advantage painting in Matt and on the outside is touching up and repair is easyier...ever tried removing cracked paint after a hit from an internal crevis of a bodyshell.
And Matt black is Ratlook anyway so wants flaking and chipped paint.

JP

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks