bolts coming loose and stoping the car.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirby

20230415_132228.jpg
has anybody had this problem/
this has hapened to me five times now.i even put red loctite on the bolts and it still happened.
any suggestions on how to stop this.
i am running a taylor 35 with taylor pipe.

Attachments

• 20230415_132228.jpg
    20230415_132228.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 7
what clutch bell/pinion are you using?

might be worth upgrading to a more solid design of clutch bell such as blackbone/vertigo etc instead of stock ;)

i bought two new bolts and put lock washers and blue loctite on them.
that bolt in the picture had RED loctite on it and two of the bolts came loose even woth the red loctite on them.

i bought two new bolts and put lock washers and blue loctite on them.
that bolt in the picture had RED loctite on it and two of the bolts came loose even woth the red loctite on them.
Not being a wise guy. Did you clean the threads with brake or carb cleaner or alchohol, apply the red and then let it cure for 24 hours? Blue even should have held that if it was clean and cured.

with a spring/lock washer & red loctite there is no way that would come loose!?

as Rick says, chances are the thread on the bolt has grease/muck on it etc preventing the loctite making good contact, even brand new bolts will have some oil residue on them from the machining. Take bolts off, grab a wire brush & some washing up liquid etc, then give bolt a good scrub, rinse good then refit with the spring washer/red loctite ;)

I wouldnt use blue threadloc anywhere near engine as these areas become very hot, and will break the seal of blue loctite! ive always use this tuff for areas that have extreme heat:

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/p...ives/bearing-fit-and-studlock-10g-179741.html

i also used this for the grubs on the shafts to hold pins in the dogbones etc, never any issues so far of pins coming loose!

never had any issue of bolts coming loose, but be warned, to the break the seal should want to loosen the nut you will NEED to heat the nut/bolt up first, or you will round or even snap the bolt! this stuff sets like a weld, i use it mostly for exhaust studs/nuts. ;)

clean threads on both hole and bolt + a lot of torque + loctite should do it. that works every time for me. are you cleaning the hole threads with alcohol and a q tip? get either drivegrip or valve grinding compound and use it on whatever tool you use to tighten, and tighten the hell out of it.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks