Brakes binding after TR tranny plate install

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rabidfox50

After installing new new Turtle Racing rear plate with brake plate, I experienced some binding in the brakes. After rotating the drive train, it seems to bind after one turn then frees up a bit then bind again. I pulled the disks, pads and caliper and everything is free. Granted the transmission is new and repacked with Lucas Oil marine grease so its smooth but has some obvious resistence because of the grease. I have ruled out the transmission, outdrives and the lay shaft is straight. The TR plate is seated properly and everything is lined up nice. The problem is narrowed down to the brake system and possibly the bearing carrier under the brakes. The truck is ready for a break in but this last issue is keeping my in the garage. I love a challenge don't get me wrong but I am also happy to take advice. Any thoughts?

I followed Fast Eddie's video on installing the TR plate to include dremeling the motor mount as he indicated.

Wel, I tore down the brake system and discovered the two brake disks are warped. I did some old fashion metal straightening and got them better. The star shaped spacer between them was bent as well. I also did the ballpoint pen spring mod on the caliper. Seemsthat both have done the trick. With everything being new, I'm guessing I just gotta run this rig like I stole it to get everything seated and smooth. Rain tomorrow and Thursday. Of course my two days off then eight days on again. Yet again I must wait to run this thing.

To anyone having this issue with their brakes, make sure the disks are flat and not bent. If so, they will cause binding. I'm going to eventually replace the brakes with something better. Maybe the Full Force carbon fiber brake disk and aluminum pads.

Had an issue similar to that but didn't have TR plate so not sure if it's the same cause. If I tightened the screws on the plate too tight it actually would pull the plate that the cam goes into down too far. This caused to much pressure on the top or the caliper and pads. When brakes where applied it would not release. So the brakes remained in on position. May not be what you are dealing with but it's something to look at.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, the issue was confirmed to be the disks. Both disks and the star shaped spacer between them were warped and way out of speck. They looked like a monkey beat them with a hammer on a wobbly work bench. I'm ordering the FullForce carbon fiber brake disk kit.

Thanks for sharing.
For the price of this RC, one would say skipped a few QC steps, but nothing some wrenching would not fix.

Unfortunately its not as if Rovan or KM will do a massive recall, for brake failure lol.

But I am glad other users post their issues, and hopefully Dan is making note of it so when customers complain its for real.

Thanks for sharing.
For the price of this RC, one would say skipped a few QC steps, but nothing some wrenching would not fix.

Unfortunately its not as if Rovan or KM will do a massive recall, for brake failure lol.

But I am glad other users post their issues, and hopefully Dan is making note of it so when customers complain its for real.

Dan has been great to me. From the sale to the few issues I've had. Like you said, nothing a bit of wrench work and a few parts can't rectify. I've had more issues with Traxxas and Losi vehicles with ZERO assist from them. Axial, Associated and Tamiya have been outstanding in the past. I place Dan and KM up there in great customer service.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks