Brakes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GBonn

Gentlemen,

Greetings! I am putting the final touches to my order for my FG Hummer staduim truck. I have a question about brakes, the kit comes with standard brakes. There is an upgrade to tuned brakes, and then there is hydro brakes? Keep in mind I am a backyard basher, and it is going to snow on the ground in Chicago, IL, but I want to dominant at the track next year. Below are my questions:

1) Which are better to have?
2) Should you install the same brakes on all 4 wheels
3) Are the Hydro brakes the best?
4) Would you install hydros on all 4 wheels?
5) How is the maintenance on the hydro brakes?

Thanks

Greg

don't own any FGs or hydros, but i do own the HPI Baja/ and a couple Bergonzoni Braves all with cable brakes.
from what i understand the hydros do require a bit more maintenance than the cable brakes. but once properly setup, are supposed to be better than the cables. keep in mind there are different models of each cable and hydros, and each has more or less better parts and use with the more expensive systems.

i would suggest to start out with just front disk brakes as they can work very well with a well funtioning stock rear brake setup.

if you choose to go to rear disk brakes also, then i say yes, keep them the same models for ease of setup and parts replacement when/if needed.

What can you afford? Thats the real question.:)
With most front brake upgrades you either need or should get the alloy front uprights - As well is the set up in the rear.
Hydros are better, but cables work too. If you are going to eventually go with cable or hydro in the rear don't get the rear upgraded brake, just a waist IMO. The rear brake upgrade no matter what will still allow the rear diff to spin which allows the rear to spin out. If you got the Diff brake that would not be the case as well as with cable or hydros in the rear.

Right now I want to get what I need in order to run the truck and have great performance. And most importantly have fun.

I have a list of projects I would like to do of course, but you have to budget for them accordingly. I am wondering should i spend a few hundred bucks and go tuned brakes all around and be done. Or spend close to a thousand bucks later and get hydro brakes. Will I notice a huge difference in braking from the tuned cable brakes from the hydro brakes. Enough to justify waiting and spending a thousand dollars later.

I would to hear from some who is running the hydro brakes on their truck.

Thanks

Greg

no fuel in fuel buble

help needed when running my fg marder runs ok at first but when on and off the throttle fuel bubble is empty but fuel in the tank:

Right now I want to get what I need in order to run the truck and have great performance. And most importantly have fun.

I have a list of projects I would like to do of course, but you have to budget for them accordingly. I am wondering should i spend a few hundred bucks and go tuned brakes all around and be done. Or spend close to a thousand bucks later and get hydro brakes. Will I notice a huge difference in braking from the tuned cable brakes from the hydro brakes. Enough to justify waiting and spending a thousand dollars later.

I would to hear from some who is running the hydro brakes on their truck.

Thanks

Greg

the FG tuning disc brakes (cable) are excellent work very well.......

as BTB says you will need the alloy uprights

i have used tuning cable on the front of me marder with upgraded rear brake

newpicsofmarderleopard008.jpg

marderrebuilt003.jpg

i then have magura hyd on the front of me touring car and FG tuning cable on the rear gives a better balance between the 2:lol:

DSCF0350.jpg

on me Leopard i have magura on all 4 wheels expensive but good once set up and bled ....will work well with minimum maintenance and give the bling to your wheels:cool:

newpicsofmarderleopard064.jpg

parts2007.jpg

on my FG monster truck i went for KPD hydro on all 4 wheels ....these have larger discs than the FG magura

mtfront001.jpg

p1013.jpg

fgmtengine007.jpg

both my MCD's run with standard brakes as these are 10 times better than fg,s standard brakes

its all down to $$$$$ in the end... if you want the best then go hydros:w00t:
but as i said i have cable also but the cable sets don't come with the fancy spinner's i bought those as an add on ...hope the pics help you decide:rolleyes::lol::lol:

K....

Last edited:
I like my cable brakes. need replacement cables? any bike shop will do (and get the better straight strand type, the wound kind will stretch and need adjusting until they stretch in)

don't forget to buy the carbon or aluminum servo tray as well to limit the flexing from the front brake servo

I received my FG MT 2nd hand with front cable brakes and the standard rear diff brake. It didn't seem to stop consistently so I ended up getting front hydros - excellent - fron KPD.
I kept the cable brakes and have now stripped down, found out where they weren't working properly - I was totally new to Large Scale when I bought the MT - and have now fitted them to my Evo04 'Touring chassis' and they're working fine.

Hydros are great, but I agree with one comment above - you need to keep an eye on them - no leaks or bubbles ...

As also stated above, how deep is your pocket? !!!!
Al.

PS I've had NO problems at all with the hydros so far.

Latest project Keith.
Just received a G240RC plus 4-shoe teflon clutch from Pitstop this morning (good price and excellent exchange rate at the moment) and it's been running this afternoon - breaking in gently the Voo way !!
Mielke pipe - very quiet after the DDM Dominator on my MT !!
The 'old' cable brakes lock the fronts with ease.
Rear tyres certainly do warm up ... another story but no drama.
Al.

Latest project Keith.
Just received a G240RC plus 4-shoe teflon clutch from Pitstop this morning (good price and excellent exchange rate at the moment) and it's been running this afternoon - breaking in gently the Voo way !!
Mielke pipe - very quiet after the DDM Dominator on my MT !!
The 'old' cable brakes lock the fronts with ease.
Rear tyres certainly do warm up ... another story but no drama.
Al.

i just swapped my touring car for the HPI BAJA SS a few upgrades

its in bits right now ...........CLEANING:lol::lol:.......

if i had known i would of offered you my touring car.......did you ever see it

i have a few pics in the touring car section ......my fg swift....have you had

the evo04 long

K....

Hey Keith, looks like we're :eek:fftopic: as usual!

No, I wanted to build up from bits, as a project, to complete around Christmas. I've had a large 'box of bits' that's been slowly getting heavier with Ebay and new purchases .... :D:D

My typical impatience has brought it forward and now I'm only awaiting the body from paint. That's going to be another month, but the chassis' fine.
Kill switch is on it's way but as everything's Spektrum now, the failsafe is already set.
Al.

Keith, just a question.
What do you call that cardan mounting bracket that holds the cable above the caliper?
To make the MT calipers fit, I had to cut that down - mine was plastic - but it works and fits perfectly without problem. The standard size was fouling the wheel.
Al.

Alan as always :eek:fftopic: i did not understand the german:w00t:

but any how the bit you need is called the bowden cable holder

the alloy part comes standard on the FG tuning disk brakes

plastic on standard disk brakes

part number for the alloy ones ...short version 8474
...long version 8474/1

comes in pairs and not to expensive:lol::lol:

K....

For a budget use the tunning front brakes and the upgraded steel disc in the rear. If you do cables in the rear the setup may come very close to some tuned pipes you may use. If you want to do hydros you may as well get ELCON air brakes which are available for FG's now. I have tehm on both my Elcon Cleons and by far the best front braking there is. Full 360 degree.

http://www.elcon-models.com/products/front/13900airbrake

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks