Broke the Shock End on my Car....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RareSolid

Well poop, this sux!:helpsmilie: :helpsmilie:

I was running the car around and kinda got the distance messed up and I ran into a large metal transformer that you see on the ground in residential areas. It hit it pretty hard, and flipped over. As I started to drive it my direction i could see that something was wrong with the right front suspension. It looked as if something broke there, was sloping down to the right wheel.

I looked at it for a while but I couldn't figure it out, after some messing around I realized that the shock end had a hairline crack. As the vehicle sustained weight on that part it spread apart and popped off the screw causing the shock to disconnect from the rest of the suspension arms, and thus no shock on the right front wheel.

Then I go to tower hobbies to find this replacement, but they don't have any stock!!!! Now I cant drive this thing until I can find these parts? This is ridiculous that you cant even get replacement parts for this truck! I am a little pissed.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHTX7&P=Z

I don't have these parts with me, and I can see this is going to be yet another upgrade to this vehicle if they even make metal ones.

Question:
I am looking for some good quality shocks that have metal shock ends, no plastic. Any one have any ideas what I should get for the firehammer MT? I am going to try and see if I can jimmy rig this thing so I can use it during the weekend.

I must say that this car is great, but it really needs metal parts!!!!!

RareSolid

Last edited:
You might try 7087/2 (fg part number). It is the marder shock end. I think it may work.

As for alloy ends, I believe Auction City Australia (sponsor on the right) should have them. I e-mailed them once and they never got back with me so I don't know how responsive they are to questions. Apparently for me, non-responsive.

Also, check this place out as a guide for Marder parts that are pretty close to the Smartech/Duratrax parts:

http://www.bigboystoysandhobbies.com/duratrax_

Check your e-mail, I sent you a pdf manual to the FG Marder.

Also, get a nice order for spare parts from tower together. This will keep you going when you break something, the plus is that they are pretty cheap. :)

Thanks guys for the info.

I managed to fix the problem by putting a small pipe over the shock end to act as a sleeve, then crimped and drilled two small holes, one for the screw to hold the sleeve in place, and the other for the lower shock mounting screw to go through to hold the shock in place. It actually looks good, but getting correct shock ends would be the right way to go.

Ill give them a call and see what they can do for me.

You know this stock radio they have in these trucks is crap. If I drive my car out a little bit the servo glitches and it turned on its own. Did this a few times. I know it can do this when the battery starts to die, but it shouldn't do it on a charged battery. Can any one suggest a nice radio that will go the distance? Maby I should go with the new 2.4GHz ones or something?

The stock radio will work for close up, but on a track it would suck as it glitches lots.

PS: I am going to take a picture to show what I did to fix the broken shock end. Maby someone out there will break one like I did and be stuck waiting for the parts. Instead they could just make one really quick.

Thanks guys for the info.

I managed to fix the problem by putting a small pipe over the shock end to act as a sleeve, then crimped and drilled two small holes, one for the screw to hold the sleeve in place, and the other for the lower shock mounting screw to go through to hold the shock in place. It actually looks good, but getting correct shock ends would be the right way to go.

Ill give them a call and see what they can do for me.

You know this stock radio they have in these trucks is crap. If I drive my car out a little bit the servo glitches and it turned on its own. Did this a few times. I know it can do this when the battery starts to die, but it shouldn't do it on a charged battery. Can any one suggest a nice radio that will go the distance? Maby I should go with the new 2.4GHz ones or something?

The stock radio will work for close up, but on a track it would suck as it glitches lots.

PS: I am going to take a picture to show what I did to fix the broken shock end. Maby someone out there will break one like I did and be stuck waiting for the parts. Instead they could just make one really quick.

don't mess around with a crap radio .. any 2.4 is a great way to go if your going to keep a rc .. keep safety in mind these arent little toys ..

Yes your right!

It's either the cheap radio, or its the fail safe going nuts. Will take a closer look at them.

Do you have any suggestions about which one I should get? I need to make sure the radio will work with the existing servos...

Thanks for the help!

RareSolid

My FHMT had a really poopy radio. The failsafe would turn on about 20 feet away. I finally replaced it with a Spektrum DX3. Greatest thing I could have ever done.

Definitely take a pic of the shock fix!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks