Brushless Baja 5B on 8S breaking dog bones

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bryan K.

Hey guys, I'm having a frustrating time with my Baja mainly running on grass. It seems to eat up dog bones. I haven't bent or snap any, but it keeps breaking off the pins on the ends of the dog bones. I've used the stock ones, the HD ones and even aftermarket HD ones with replaceable pins, I'm still breaking them. I have new cups on both the differential and hub sides. Any advice? Is 8S just too much torque for the Baja to handle? I'm already quite gentle with throttle application. I always try to gradually ease into the throttle as opposed to just mashing it off the line. Are the breakages related more to power or simply uneven surfaces? I even avoid braking and getting back on the throttle too much. I've seen DDM sell some dog bones that use square pins on the ends that will apparently spread a more even load since there is more contact with a square pin vs. a circular one. Before I throw more money at this thing, anyone try these? I'm about to give up on this Baja. I've upgraded everything that was giving me issues, but the dog bones don't even last me a 10 min bashing session before I have to swap them out. I purchased aftermarket HD dog bones with swappable pins so at least I can change them out at the field. This thing blows on tarmac, even with Hostile drag slicks. If I can't run this thing on the grass, I'm going to ditch it.

Hey guys, I'm having a frustrating time with my Baja mainly running on grass. It seems to eat up dog bones. I haven't bent or snap any, but it keeps breaking off the pins on the ends of the dog bones. I've used the stock ones, the HD ones and even aftermarket HD ones with replaceable pins, I'm still breaking them. I have new cups on both the differential and hub sides. Any advice? Is 8S just too much torque for the Baja to handle? I'm already quite gentle with throttle application. I always try to gradually ease into the throttle as opposed to just mashing it off the line. Are the breakages related more to power or simply uneven surfaces? I even avoid braking and getting back on the throttle too much. I've seen DDM sell some dog bones that use square pins on the ends that will apparently spread a more even load since there is more contact with a square pin vs. a circular one. Before I throw more money at this thing, anyone try these? I'm about to give up on this Baja. I've upgraded everything that was giving me issues, but the dog bones don't even last me a 10 min bashing session before I have to swap them out. I purchased aftermarket HD dog bones with swappable pins so at least I can change them out at the field. This thing blows on tarmac, even with Hostile drag slicks. If I can't run this thing on the grass, I'm going to ditch it.

I run uber dog bones and cups with ballbearings hostile slicks and about 11hp 22 52 gearing working pretty good but 8s my god uber expensive but work it so far all work to change cups on tranny

I run uber dog bones and cups with ballbearings hostile slicks and about 11hp 22 52 gearing working pretty good but 8s my god uber expensive but work it so far all work to change cups on tranny

Hmmm, that looks interesting. How does the dog bone stay inside the cup? Furthermore, how does it turn the cup? I do regret running 8S, I think 6S would be better suited. However, I'm running 8S on my Losi DBXL and it's just right. I just don't want to have to buy 6S batteries now.

I run alx diff cups and shafts and they r HUGE!!!!.....
35511556572_f1dcf1dd79_b.jpg
these r designed for the 70+cc range of alx engnies....so I`m sure they will take 8s no probs...I run a 7.5bhp scott finlay pro mx g32 in my baj
.35293434600_0d21a82d38_m.jpg
the pins r slotted and r 5mm I thk......

theres also the hub side cups aswell.....
35293438720_8cfb06f115_b.jpg
35293447340_a1939c690d_b.jpg

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks