Building a 5ive from scratch, what should I upgrade in the process?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bryan K.

Hey guys,

A buddy of mine is selling me his 5ive dirt cheap. It's literally in bits but all the parts are there and in good working condition. I know compared to the Baja and DBXL these things have a reputation for being bulletproof, but what parts should I upgrade while I'm putting it all together? shafts, clutch bells, steering related, diff related.

thanks!

I don't own one, but I would upgrade any plastic bits that hold bearings. That has been one common failure point ive seen across all rc's ive owned. But from what I hear about the 5, you can get a good bit of enjoyment as it comes. Then upgrade as you break stuff.

I was thinking something more immediate that's prone to failure. I've upgraded pretty much everything that holds a bearing on my DBXL and I think with what I've spent on upgrades I could have purchased another DBXL with money left over. I'm thinking on a 5ive upgrades might be even more money? You're talking center diff carriers, bell housings, front and rear hubs, rear diff housings and diffs and misc other parts. I'm sure that'll run you close to $1000 if not more. I'm not prepared to spend that on the 5ive, especially because it's just a spare car build.

I agree with you about the common failure point. Almost all my 1/8 and 1/10 scale RC's have the hubs, carriers and diffs upgraded to aluminum.

The bell crank servo saver ?? there is a nut that holds the spring in place? on the 1,1.5 it would come loose?? team fast eddy has an upgrade ?? put a TLR clutch bell carrier ?? MOD rc parts dose a rear diff case bearing inset and oversized bearings??? sure there are others but those are some good ones mmmmm TLR shock bleeder caps

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks