Can a Blown Gasket Do This?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MonsterAir

Lone Racer 🤠
Just got my buggy all tuned up yesterday, running it a bit rich to keep the temp down with the heat we've been having and outta no where she started crawling away from me. Linkages aren't stuck and when I lift rear tires off the ground and give it gas she just wants to keep going until I lay her back down. Can a air leak cause this runaway issue? Again I checked all linkages and throttle is closed when this happens. Temps never went above 260deg. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

As long as your idle is not to high, the probability of a clutch spring issue is Very high.
What are your needle settings on the H & L needles.

My settings are back to stock. L- 1 1/4 and H- 1 3/8. Gonna go over the buggy tomorrow night sometime. Will report back with the results after a spring swap.

Stock settings are L- 1 1/4 and H- 1 1/2.
You are an 1/8 of a turn lean on the High side, but the idle is affected by the Low needle adjustment.
Is the idle high ?
Maybe back the idle screw off just a small bit & see if your problem gets better.

Yea I guess I misread. I was thinking it was literally still going when off throttle. A high idle would definitely make the wheels spin in the air.

My carb settings were fine. Not idling high and running around 220-240deg after a stretch. Thought I had her tuned up well enough. Prob I think is what you guys suggested. Haven't had a chance to open her up yet, I over did it with the red locktit on one of my engine bolts and striped it trying to remove. Now I have to deal with that before I can figure out this other issue. Hopefully some heat and pb blaster gets it unstuck. Will report back when I'm not frustrated with this thing. Thanks again.

Last edited:
I'm back with some results!..... After swapping out the clutch with a new one and having the same problem I noticed my intake manifold was loose! Tightened it up and now she sounds healthy again. Thanks for all the suggestions guys even though I'm not sure it was the clutch it's good to know the symptoms of a worn out spring..... Now I'm off to burn a tank of gas and hopefully figure out this weird intermittent radio glitch I've been getting. My super bee seems to frequently shut her down and sometimes it'll let the throttle get stuck open. I've shrink wrapped all my linkages and have taped my alloy servo plate where the servo sits but the problem persists.

It's your receiver battery it dropping voltage and shutting it down
Turn the wheel hard right and put brake on after it does it and turn steering left right and see if it dies

Ill give it a try and report back. Its a brand new 6000mah lipo w/ capacitor powering a savox 0241mg and a hi tec 7980th. Maybe brownouts?..... ive had this issue since the beginning. I think it is my linkages. They run very close to the motor if not barely touching. I shrink wrapped them a while back and the issue seemed to have gone away but since then ive changed a lot.

My buddy had the same problem. He switched to a new batter and good as new. Maybe a dumb question but do you have the cut off voltage set to 6v?

Yes it's at 6v and I've changed batteries. Running killer rc 6000mah 2s now..... Problem happened again today. Controls jam or get stuck open, shut down and issue goes away, 10 min later same issue. It's weird. I'm gonna start another thread with some pics when I get some time.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks