Carbon fiber chassis anyone?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joester

So I have been studying composites for some time now, mainly carbon fiber and carbonaramid composites.
I have got the abillity to produce parts myself, and have been wondering if there is any interest in this. I could offer chassis plates for around 180euros excluding postage. If there is enough interest in this I will get myself a contributor account and i'll start fabbing for you guys.

Btw mods and admins, this is just to see if thre is any interest, if I there actually is enough than I will get all account matters done so I can legitemally sells things on this forums.

So it's been a few weeks and i've been really busy.
The result is a vacuum formed FG chassis.
It has some beautyflaws but its structally sound and it wheigs 447grams less than the original.
2014-03-04131351.jpg
2014-03-04131341.jpg
2014-03-04130414.jpg
2014-03-04130836.jpg
2014-03-04130850.jpg

How thick is the chassis? Is this the first one you've done so far? Interested in hearing how it holds up to some bashing.

Its 4mm thick with a reinforcemend in the kickup so that is 7mm thick.
It's the first full chassis i've done. I've practised and tested on hpi baja subchassis(the orange one that holds the engine.) And those held up fine.
The big difference here is that I use bi-diaginoal carbon fiber with uses 2 strans of CF that cross eachother in an X shape. This gives reinforcement in 2 directions. I use the fibers diagnolly, so that forces hit the X from above wich means that the impact will always be absorbed by 2 strans of CF. This offers great impact resistance and durabillity. And it will make sure the CF will bend alot more instead of snapping like regular CF does.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks