Castle Mamba XL2 in my .....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atom3624

...... no worries, it's not in the FG MT ......

I've upgraded the LiPo batteries in my E-Maxx, which runs 6S through a Mamba Monster.

The old Kershaw Designs 3S 5Ah LiPos were starting to get a little 'fluffy', so I ran them down as low as I dared, then left in a bowl of very salty water for a week.
Neutralised and disposed ..... !!

In-between time, I had ordered a pair of 3S Turnigy LiPos - 65/130C 5Ah nanotech ones!! - THESE ARE THE DOG'S NUTS!!
The MM was thermalling, so I could calm the timing, power curve, etc., .....NAAHHH!! Don't be silly!!

I got myself an XL2!
Problem was it was supposedly 100% forward power, 50% reverse, but gave the opposite.
I reversed the Tx, and got 100% forward power in the correct direction, rest gave part throttle and reverse gave 0!!

Merde!!

I stewed and spewed over it overnight, then had another go after my return from Pizza Hut - that's what it was, the Pizza Hut difference!!!!
I reset the Tx to Normal, reset via the Castle link the ESC to default, then programmed. 50% forwards, 100% reverse as before.

The Castle link permits one WONDERFUL feature ..... reversing the motor polarity!!
SORTED - FINALLY!!
I've increased the pinion from 19t to 23t - just for the hell of it - this is one ballistic beast!!
Batteries - SORTED.
ESC - SORTED.
Cabling - 8AWG - SORTED.
Connectors - 8mm Castle - SORTED.
Motor - Feigao 580L - mmmmhhhh ????? She'll be fine!!
Tranny - UE 6-Spider - SORTED.
Gearbox - casing alloy - gears metal - Might be OK!!
CVD's - Traxxas 'shiny Revo' - seem toughest of the lot!!
Arms - Flextek Titanium - SORTED!!

Quite a beast - hope to have a painless outing tomorrow morning now that the ESC's sorted.
Remember, this can take 8S .... but not yet!!

Al.

Just had a quick blast with the E-Maxx.

8mm Castle connectors and 8AWG wire everywhere.
2 Turnigy 5Ah 3S 65/130C batteries in series - so each capable of potentially 130 x 5A = 650A !!
Feigao 580L 7XL (I think .. not sure, the sticker's gone!).
72t RR hardened spur.
23t meaty (is all I can call it - no idea of origin, but it is metal) pinion.
RR modified slipper.
Kershaw slipper modification - spring washer, thrust bearing replacing spring.
Unlimited Engineering cups, shafts, diffs, shock mounts.
MAMBA XL2 ESC - that's the catch!! Able to GIVE the big power to the motor.

Result......
It's been raining for months now, despite being dry, but it's been dry a couple of days, and misty.
Drove it through the front doorway, around the car, then opened up a bit - already WAY faster than with the Mamba Monster that was tripping out before .... this is already looking MENTAL, at 2/3 throttle.
Then a couple of faster runs - NEARLY pulling full throttle - WAY faster than the Losi Raminator and both LargeScales .....
Then I remembered something else.
Programming the Mamba XL2 was a PAIN, but 'simple when you know how' ...
To setup, you need to power up with Tx on full - so I had an elastic band on the throttle, which I remember caught the Aux button.

IT HAD BEEN IN LOWER GEAR.
Mine has UltraMaxx gears, molygreased throughout, alloy gear case .... so can take a fair amount of power .... and was in LOWER GEAR.
It's a 3906 with LOW/HIGH on the fly.
I changed into HIGH gear.
Despite firm but supple gearing, it started wheelying .... it does have a wheely bar.
I never reached full power and W.O.O.O.O.W.W.W.W.W.W.W !!!!!!!!!!!
That is FAST!!
Time to call it a day - play another day as well. This was wet.
First test, this is MENTAL!! GREAT STUFF!!
Al.

Mental Maxx, as I've decided to call it now has a Castle Remote link, meaning I don't have to remove the connector from the Rx each time I want to 'tweak' the ESC.

Tightened the slipper a little as I don't remember the Beast wheelying until it reached insane speeds - still accelerating ......

This REALLY is an insane beast!!
LOVE IT - what RC's all about!!!

Al.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks