Center driveshaft lengths

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bryan K.

Hey guys, I just pulled my DBXL apart for some upgrades and I seem to have mixed up both center drive shafts. I didn't realize they were different lengths and didn't bother taking note of which one goes where. Glad to see that the pins are replaceable. The pins were flattened to about half of their size. I had some Dark souls meaty bone's pins laying around and hammered some into there. Should be better than the stock ones.

I noticed some wear on the tip of ball end of the shafts going into the cup. I suspect that I had them reversed the whole time. I built the DBXL from scratch, so not the manufactures fault. The long shaft was in the wrong place. The lengths are so close it's almost impossible to tell which one goes where. Also, I can't compare pics online because all the designs seem to have been updated.

Attachments

• shafts.jpg
    shafts.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Tell me about it. I was looking into the FLM ones as replacements and noticed they have 2 holes for length adjustments so you can use them on both front and rear but no indication of which length goes where. :(

Interesting, there's no documentation that came with the product?

Anyways, I think that's correct. I noticed if I put the shorter one up front the dog bone pins just sit on the outer edge of the center diff cup. I'm pretty sure I had the long ones in the back by accident and that's what was causing the wear around the rounded portion of the dog bone. Also, it would explain why my shafts were getting so hot when I was running my brushless setup. Looks like there was too much friction on the dog bone.

I'll run the longer ones up front and the shorter in the rear. Thanks for the info. However, if someone would just confirm so my paranoia doesn't get to me.

thanks guys,

Interesting, there's no documentation that came with the product?

Anyways, I think that's correct. I noticed if I put the shorter one up front the dog bone pins just sit on the outer edge of the center diff cup. I'm pretty sure I had the long ones in the back by accident and that's what was causing the wear around the rounded portion of the dog bone. Also, it would explain why my shafts were getting so hot when I was running my brushless setup. Looks like there was too much friction on the dog bone.

I'll run the longer ones up front and the shorter in the rear. Thanks for the info. However, if someone would just confirm so my paranoia doesn't get to me.

thanks guys,
It may have had a piece of paper with it, but im not really a instructions kind of guy. Unless im just totally lost.

The films are marked f and r so it doesn't need instructions. Long one up front. And flm must have changed what screws they send out as mine have regular steel grub screws not stainless.

The films are marked f and r so it doesn't need instructions. Long one up front. And flm must have changed what screws they send out as mine have regular steel grub screws not stainless.
Ive had 2 sets now...both with super soft (and too long) stainless screws to hold the pins in from backing out. However Regina over at FLM sent me a rebuild kit...and the screws are'nt SS this time. Still waiting on UPS before i do any work.

I've got mine umm last winter when I did my full rebuild. Must have switched suppliers or something. I did have to grind down the keeper screws for the pins. Which I detailed in my thread "tear the ole girl down"

I'll check it out now. I'll be doing something to mine too. As far as I can tell the head of said screw is designed to hold in the pin...no more no less. I plan on cutting screws down to 2.5mm or so...that's the height of my nut. And don't worry...I have "extras"

Attachments

• IMG_20200421_182730.jpg
    IMG_20200421_182730.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 5
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks