Changing color of wheels/rim with Dye?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Del

I know this can be done with some types of smaller scale RC wheels/rims but has anyone done this with FG wheels? Marder ones in particular?

yeah with white rims we done it to a set of white lauterbacher to purple and badobsession on this forum did it with a set of white fg stadium rims to orange the results can be seen in the leopard section on this forum

what u need to do is get a boil in the pan dye which u can get from the woolworths and the likes

boil a big pan of water try and do all 4 at once if the pot is big enough if not do 2 at a time

add your dye

and drop in your rims and leave for roughly 45-60 mins but keep stirring them

then when u take them out lay them on newspaper until they cool and there u have it coloured rims

i will also add it can be rather messy to do

Nice one! I'll give that a go. By the way, would it work ok if the rims have tyres on them? I got 2 sets to do but one has the tyres on, I'm guessing the dye wont affect the black tyre rubber?

we tried a set of 1/8ths with tyres on and what happened was that they floated in the water on top it does colour the rubber a bit and if the wheels haven't been well degreased u may get a spotted dog effect lol

you like
i have one sitting in the garage got it from usa a few years back
looks cool when under a 5th
its a work of art all alloy work just like the real thing .

yours for £10.00 plus p+p
send me a pm if interested can post up pics if you want to see it .
mark...

you like
i have one sitting in the garage got it from usa a few years back
looks cool when under a 5th
its a work of art all alloy work just like the real thing .

yours for £10.00 plus p+p
send me a pm if interested can post up pics if you want to see it .
mark...

Yep Mark, I'd love to see some Pics then we'll go from there if that's OK?

dye for rims

hi Whizzy my name is leadfoot what type of dye do you guys use all I have been doing is painting them because I trash them too fast but it dosen't stay long. how long will it last

it dyes the whole thing fairly deep into the plastic, you can cut a chuck out and in most cases still have color.

the hotter the dye is and still not boiling then the deeper it should go inot the part

if you try to do the wheels with the tyres on the heat will make the superglue soft and you will be able to take off the tyres as well..

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks