Charging Problems - Pls Help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sperera

Got a new receiver battery couple of weeks back for my new baja, a 3600mah nimh. Its a prick to charge.

Got a proper charger, set it to 1.5 amps and its puts in 50mah and says its full, drop it down to 1, another 50 says its full, 0.8 couple of hundred says its full, 0.5 and it puts almost 1000 then says its full (only now is the battery starting to get slightly warm.

Why is it doing this? When I use multimeters its showing over 7 volts.

The pack in my baja is stock...at 2000 mAh....I have always charged it at 5.8 amps.......coz that's what my charger shoves in it......can't adjust it.....and that pack is fine!!!

The pack in my baja is stock...at 2000 mAh....I have always charged it at 5.8 amps.......coz that's what my charger shoves in it......can't adjust it.....and that pack is fine!!!

That seems high mate. Most packs have the max charge current written on the sticker somewhere. Check it out cos if it is not rated for this you could end up with a cell going down which in turn will increase the resistance thru the remaining cells & they will also give up very quickly. If you are charging with your pack still in your car & this happens you could be having yourself a little explosion :scared:

I had a bad experience with a cell going down under normal charge conditions & it took out my new 2.4ghz tx :cursing:

If all is fine just make sure it isnt getting too hot during charging or you will shorten the life of your pack.

ill try discharging it tonight but im pretty sure my charger wants to know how many mah to discharge, not know how much is in it im guessing ill need to keep an eye on the voltage. should I let it drop to say 5.8 and then charge it up again?

first charge on a battery should be a slow charge..

charging a nmh you can look at a couple things. for racing electric guys will charge at a higher amperage because it gives more initial power but less runtime. charging slow gives more runtime and a more even punch...

it almost sounds like a cel(s) internal resistance is low... or maybe a bad connection not allowing the higher amperage to flow through but enough of a connection to allow a trickle charge

That seems high mate. Most packs have the max charge current written on the sticker somewhere. Check it out cos if it is not rated for this you could end up with a cell going down which in turn will increase the resistance thru the remaining cells & they will also give up very quickly. If you are charging with your pack still in your car & this happens you could be having yourself a little explosion :scared:

I had a bad experience with a cell going down under normal charge conditions & it took out my new 2.4ghz tx :cursing:

If all is fine just make sure it isnt getting too hot during charging or you will shorten the life of your pack.

All is good bud....been charging it this way since November 08 and it is still perfect......it only gets medium warm on peak off..

man this battery is really sh*tting me

trying do do a discharge/charge cycle using my charger, discharged 47mah and says its dry, now chargin @ 3.6amp, ill let you know when it peaks off, still going but hasnt put much in yet.

if i cant figure it out tonight I might return it and try to get my money back and buy one off the net or something.

hate it when new stuff don't work.

well I contact the hobby shop I got the battery from. said they want to inspect it before they do anything about it, fair enough ill drop it off later in the week. oh and the inspection can take up to 3 months!!! WTF

just purcahsed the VP racing 4600mah flat pack from PSR, ill try and get my money back for the other one through time.

well my latest charging problems is this. trying to discharge everything out of the 3600mah batter.

according to charger its down to 5.3 volts and taken out roughly 3100 mah (roughly). when I disconnect from charger and use multimeters and its says 6.6 volts??? i have a cheap multimeter set so i don't know which is reading accurate!

got the VP battery earlier today so charging that up at the moment, going good, hasnt peaked off like the other battery

the charger is showing voltage under load, when you disconnect the battery comes back up so the meter says a higher reading.

I remember micro racing. 18 scale. it was a track in a store. I bought a new X brand battery, took it home and tried and tried to charge it with my triton. slow, fast etc. had the same problems you are having. I took it back and exchanged the battery. I had my others charged so set it up to charge at the store... same thing. they had tested the other and found it wasn't my charger hehe... they wouldn't even exchange me for a third one... they sent them back and it was a bad batch. the internal resistance was brutal...

well I might be in the same boat. I borrowed another set of multimeters from work and they read different to my multimeters (i bout a $2 multimeter so not expecting it to be that good and the work one if top of the range).

I stopped discharging it now, will try to load it up when I get home and see how much it takes.

Started charging the new VP 4600mah I got from PSR. So good so far, its taken just over 300mah in one hit @ 0.8 amp and still going, hasnt peaked off once which is a nice change.

no worries. I ment to say above that its just over 3,000mah now not 300 LOL.

also the VP battery has seperate charging and reciever wiring which is handy.

damn that new battery took heaps. by the end of it all the VP took 5400mah and is sitting on 7.2 volts. didnt peak off until the end which was obviously full after all that. A very nice change to the other new one I want to return!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks