Charging..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tizdaz

Hi guys :)

ok just picked up a new 5000mah 6v pack..
5x 1.2v C-Cells
Capacity : 5000mAh
Weight : 370g
Measured at 5000mA (0.2C) discharge.
Max Discharge Current : 30,000mA (30 Amps)
Max Charge Current : 5000mA
Fitting : Tamiya & Futaba
Size : 111mm x 46mm x 24mm

In the past ive always done a quick charge as my old charger is kinda basic as i jus connected the batter to it & pressed the start button then wait till it beeps & its done! but this charger is old & 5000mah werent around back then when this was released so im guessing its not ideal for charging 5000mah? ... http://www.ironfoot.co.uk/shop/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=441

anyway picked up a new charger a while back & not used it yet, as its a little confusing as i aint too great with the math behind charging batteries so hopefully you guys can help!

new charger i have now is this one..

http://www.v-eastonline.com/products/ULTRAMAT-6-.html & batterys i wanna charge is C-Cells (5x 1.2v cells) 6v 5000mah pack & same again but 4600mah which is my old battery but still working fine.

any info/help on this much appreciated as i don't wanna damage my new battery ive just bought & i wanna kinda understand what these mean on my charger:

Charge Current, toggle switch with options of 0.2 / 0.5 & 1.0
&
Delta Peak mv/cell, toggle switch with options of 5, 10 & 20

thats just dbl dutch to meh! :( ?

ta :)

Last edited:
ok in manual it says to charge mah batteries using the 10mv option for the delta peak option?

& for the current im guessing with each cell being 1.2v ..should i select charge current @ 1.0 which is the highest?

Just reading the spec on the link, the highest charge rate you have is 1a so it will take 5-6hrs to charge your pack. The delta peak voltage detects increased temperature in the cells as charge is added and will switch to trickle charge (usually towards the end of the charge) to avoid damage.

Have a read of this http://www.rcheliwiki.com/Delta_peak_charging

Last edited:
Hi guys :)

ok just picked up a new 5000mah 6v pack..
5x 1.2v C-Cells
Capacity : 5000mAh
Weight : 370g
Measured at 5000mA (0.2C) discharge.
Max Discharge Current : 30,000mA (30 Amps)
Max Charge Current : 5000mA
Fitting : Tamiya & Futaba
Size : 111mm x 46mm x 24mm

In the past ive always done a quick charge as my old charger is kinda basic as i jus connected the batter to it & pressed the start button then wait till it beeps & its done! but this charger is old & 5000mah werent around back then when this was released so im guessing its not ideal for charging 5000mah? ... http://www.ironfoot.co.uk/shop/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=441

anyway picked up a new charger a while back & not used it yet, as its a little confusing as i aint too great with the math behind charging batteries so hopefully you guys can help!

new charger i have now is this one..

http://www.v-eastonline.com/products/ULTRAMAT-6-.html & batterys i wanna charge is C-Cells (5x 1.2v cells) 6v 5000mah pack & same again but 4600mah which is my old battery but still working fine.

any info/help on this much appreciated as i don't wanna damage my new battery ive just bought & i wanna kinda understand what these mean on my charger:

Charge Current, toggle switch with options of 0.2 / 0.5 & 1.0
&
Delta Peak mv/cell, toggle switch with options of 5, 10 & 20

thats just dbl dutch to meh! :( ?

ta :)

Being a 'gadget freak' (aren't we all? !!), this is what I have - fantastic piece of kit, but being the impatient person I am, I don't use a fraction of the functions available!!

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...6_Balance_Charger_Plus_Accessories_200W_.html

Al.

ok ive just put it on charge @ 1a & 10mv.. see what happens, november the 5th may come early for me! :p

Jeez mate, if you're that worried, stick it on an extension and charge it in the garden - if it's not raining that is !!!!!! :lol::D:w00t::D:lol::p

It's not a LiPo. You could get away with up to 5A charge current for NiMH of 5Ah capacity, but the higher the current, the faster you fatigue the battery, despite getting a charged battery more quickly.

Good move not to go over 2.0-2.5A.
If your limit's 1A, you're fine, but you've time to go to the pub first!!

Al.

How much did you pay for your pack? I can build them for less than $25. As for charging then never fast charge then higher than 5 amps with a NIMH charger. Slower is better. Trickle charge is the best way to condition a new battery.

ok ive just put it on charge @ 1a & 10mv.. see what happens, november the 5th may come early for me! :p

Cant fault that fusion nx81 charger for £20. It has auto delta peak charge, charge range from 0.5a to 5a and is plug n play which suits me fine cos battery charging is boring......no offence Al!!!!

when you say trickle charge.. how do i put my charger onto that? cuz a soon i plug it in i have to press the button to start charge & it goes straight onto fast charge i think, also with trickle charge will auto stop charging when the battery is fully charged?

i paid about £25 (around $30-32) for my pack (im from UK).

when you say trickle charge.. how do i put my charger onto that? cuz a soon i plug it in i have to press the button to start charge & it goes straight onto fast charge i think, also with trickle charge will auto stop charging when the battery is fully charged?

i paid about £25 (around $30-32) for my pack (im from UK).

1a is pretty much trickle charging on a 5000ma pack or you could drop it to 0.5a for an overnight charge.

hmm ...ok so it should have taken about 6 hours, its been on charge 2 hours & its just beeped to say its done!?

the pack aint very warm, it is a little warmer than before charge but not very much at all, hardly any change really in the warmth of pack, in the past when ive done my old packs on my old charger the packs felt much warmer :( ?

hmm ...ok so it should have taken about 6 hours, its been on charge 2 hours & its just beeped to say its done!?

the pack aint very warm, it is a little warmer than before charge but not very much at all, hardly any change really in the warmth of pack, in the past when ive done my old packs on my old charger the packs felt much warmer :( ?

It might be with the lower current.
If it was a new battery, it will be partially charged, so it's no surprise.

There's no harm to use it if it isn't fully charged.

Al.

oki ta mate, just don't want it to run out after 10mins using it :eek:

i just used an online tool for giving a rough charge time on batterys & it says around 6hours for the settings i used.. weird :(

oki ta mate, just don't want it to run out after 10mins using it :eek:

i just used an online tool for giving a rough charge time on batterys & it says around 6hours for the settings i used.. weird :(

The charge time should relate to how charged or discharged it was to start with.
Sometimes I've noticed NiMH batteries have to be cycled - charged / discharged / charged / discharged to get to their full capacity.

You do have a remote kill switch anyway don't you? !!! :lol::lol::w00t:

Al.

nah not got a remote 1 atm, but tbh if my battery went flat while using it the remote wouldnt kick in anyway lol :(

gunna get 1 tho its next on my list when i get paid :D

would it do any harm to put it on charge again? MaH don't have a memory effect do they so they don't need to be fully discharged to recharge them?

so if my pack is only partially charged could i just put it on a another charge?

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks