Cleaning the air filter. How do you do it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine doesn't seem that dirty, but I'd clean it just in case.

Is there a how to? Thanks

I just use dawn (or any liquid dish soap) and warm water and just wash it. Then I squeeze the water out of it with paper towels and let it air dry overnight. Good as new.

I use K&N filter recharger kit, I soak the element witht he cleaner let sit for a bit squeaze it and massage it a bit then I rince it out with water and spray the filter oil on the foam and squeaze out the excess.

I use K&N filter recharger kit, I soak the element witht he cleaner let sit for a bit squeaze it and massage it a bit then I rince it out with water and spray the filter oil on the foam and squeaze out the excess.

Wow, I didn't even think about that. I already have one of those kits for my 1:1 scale car. :) I wonder if that's any better than using the duratrax oil

Wow, I didn't even think about that. I already have one of those kits for my 1:1 scale car. :) I wonder if that's any better than using the duratrax oil
I have succesfully been using it for a couple years. I have no complaints. It is important to squeaze out the excess filter oil though.

I was the same as you filter dirty, and I am out of oil! That is when I tried the filter recharger kit and have been using it since.

I use K&N recharge kit to clean the air filter too. The K&N cleaner work the best.

I tried Grease lightning, Simple Green, Fantastic, 409, Dawn, Palmolive, Citrit Orange, and many other stuff. I will try WD-40 next time.

The K&N filter oil is not that good. The Duratrax oil is tackier so it will capture more dirt. Try pinching a drop of each in your finger and you will see the different

I buy filter oil from my local motorcycle shop. It's the same as filter oil from the hobby shop, but a hell of a lot cheaper. 2oz from the H.S. is 5 bucks, or a quart for $10 from the cycle shop. Same stuff, just cheaper.

I buy filter oil from my local motorcycle shop. It's the same as filter oil from the hobby shop, but a hell of a lot cheaper. 2oz from the H.S. is 5 bucks, or a quart for $10 from the cycle shop. Same stuff, just cheaper.

Same here,I use No-toil,it cleans up with just simple warm water and dish soap,you do not have to use any petrolium(solvent) based cleaner,have been using it on the dirt bikes for years.

Not sure but are the K&N kits mentioned above not meant for the gauze type filters???

Last edited:
Same here,I use No-toil,it cleans up with just simple warm water and dish soap,you do not have to use any petrolium(solvent) based cleaner,have been using it on the dirt bikes for years.

Not sure but are the K&N kits mentioned above not meant for the gauze type filters???

Yes, but K&N makes a small (gauze type) air filter for our motors. The K&N filters suck for off road. They let fine dirt/dust into the motor and cause all kinds of bad problems!

The oil in the recharge kit works pretty well for the foam filters, but is kind of expensive.

for oiling the filter it depends if it's foam, cloth or paper. I want 2 new air filters soon. just deciding what to get from DDM. They sell filter oil too.

Barry for the off roads we usually run a hpi inner filter with a TGN redneck outer and it does very well,with your semi and onroad these would work well,oiled foam are still the best for this hobby.Barry you might try the no-toil,can be found at 5th Gear on Westminster Hwy,I have used it for close to 10 years now and really like it,very simple clean up,I can even give you some to try....
Me personally,I will not use a K&N again,tried one in a honda dirtbike and no matter how well it was serviced always found a light layer of dust in the intake boot,tried one also for on road in my truck and found the same thing,for me the best was a oil bath-very seldom used anywhere anymore,next oiled foam,and final is paper.

James..

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks