clone vs real deal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcshort

i have a thought on this hole deal. with all the aftermarket suppliers out there if i buy a clone buggy and someone else buys the real thing and we both do all the same hop-ups change motors every thing we can do to make them better rcs wheres the difference between them now. they have both been completely changed with aftermarket parts.so now they are both copies the only difference is the base cost of the and the brand name of said rc..dunno mybe im wrong but if buy an hpi baja 5b and totaly trick it out at some point there nothing hpi left on it so in a sence its now a clone:)

This topic has been beat to death. Basically it all comes down to personal opinion, I see it as the guys who paid 1,000 + for their HPI's before seeing the KM's ect have received a sour taste in their mouth.

This topic has been beat to death. Basically it all comes down to personal opinion, I see it as the guys who paid 1,000 + for their HPI's before seeing the KM's ect have received a sour taste in their mouth.
yup i know its been beat to death:lol::lol:i was jus tring to say in the end its all the same a totally tricked out baja or what ever it is you bought its not hpi baja its a muti brand baja :lol::lol: but still a baja 5b..

Having more 5th scale choices on the market can only lead to good things in my opinion. It's better for all the wonderful after market vendors we have and the end user benefits from having such a wide range of upgrade choices available. What make or model you buy is inconsequential as long as you are having fun. Whatever you purchase only supports the hobby and the industry that has sprung up around it.

Last edited:
Having more 5th scale choices on the market can only lead to good things in my opinion. It's better for all the wonderful after market vendors we have and the end user benefits from having such a wide range of upgrade choices available. What make or model you buy is inconsequential as long as you are having fun. Whatever you purchase only supports the hobby and the industry that has sprung up around it.
i totally agree with you funbob its all about having fun:w00t: no matter which car/truck you have your going to bash it its going to break and your going to upgrade and do it all again:)

I have both HPI and KM and I have spent virtually an equal amount on the both so they really are no longer HPI and KM.
These cars dontcome with a logbook so after all the hop ups who is to say what car it was originally?:rolleyes:
J.
Oh,P.S.I swear by the KM's, they in my opinion are excellent s I have never had a problem yet(apart from consumables,tyres,clutch,etc) whereas the HPI has had about 70% replaced due to breakages and I bash both with no mercy.:devil2:
J.

I have both HPI and KM and I have spent virtually an equal amount on the both so they really are no longer HPI and KM.
These cars dontcome with a logbook so after all the hop ups who is to say what car it was originally?:rolleyes:
J.
Oh,P.S.I swear by the KM's, they in my opinion are excellent s I have never had a problem yet(apart from consumables,tyres,clutch,etc) whereas the HPI has had about 70% replaced due to breakages and I bash both with no mercy.:devil2:
J.
voo thats the best way to play im looking to get 3 the buggy a t1000 and a almost bare kit that im going to turn in to a 5 sc:D all 3 are going to cost me less than 2 hpi"s:lol:

In the UK you can buy an all alloy KM baja for £500. That leaves approx £300 over a HPI baja for hop-ups which would give you a top notch ride or just use the spare cash to keep the missus quiet so you can have fun with your new toy :w00t:

Yep, it's a budget thing! This is exactly what I looked at when buying a Baja, no matter which make you're gonna buy, let's face it we all end up hopping things up a bit. There was no way I was gonna be stung for almost £800 and then spend more on better parts.

my friend lordraptor1 on another forum has a hpi B and its spends more time broke than running, and im not exaggerating, he tells me all the time it run 5 minutes then something broke. he doesn't bash it very hard,just something someplace on it lets go.

my KM T 1000 has had only one thing that really broke as stock, the pullstarter, discovered if you get a PS with the collar arounf pawl it solves the issue with the KM's and mine sits alot on bench but not from breaks, fromall the upgrading i am doing, but has never broken. i was messing with it one day and had it going prolly 30 mph, steering was touchy cuz i added the DS extenders in front, and couldnt adjust the speed of the steering servo with the stock flysky brand radio it come with, it turned sharply flipped and rolled end over end 5 times on concrete into the ditch. went to look at it, and other than a scraped rear shock top, nothing broke at all.

i keep hearing peeps say the KM's plastic is crap compared to hpi, but my pal can disagree with that as almost every plastic part on his has busted sometime or other. mine hasnt.

i believe Km's plastic isnt as brittle as they say, in fact i think its better.

or at least a lil better than hpi's.

facts are tho, with allthat being said bout upgrades do to them and pretty much not being the same anymore afterwards, why spend 1k on hpi when a km is a few hundred cheaper and are in most respects just a good as hpi is.

it just leaves ya a lil spending money to do upgrades with off the bat.

the main issue with hpi over km or clones are, the peeps that slam ya saying your not buying american if ya don't buy a hpi, and i do support this great nation i live in. but, i see no reason not to buy a km over hpi, my aftermarket parts i get are mostly made for hpi and fir the KM so im still supporting hpi in a sense by using parts designed for hpi.

my friend lordraptor1 on another forum has a hpi B and its spends more time broke than running, and im not exaggerating, he tells me all the time it run 5 minutes then something broke. he doesn't bash it very hard,just something someplace on it lets go.

my KM T 1000 has had only one thing that really broke as stock, the pullstarter, discovered if you get a PS with the collar arounf pawl it solves the issue with the KM's and mine sits alot on bench but not from breaks, fromall the upgrading i am doing, but has never broken. i was messing with it one day and had it going prolly 30 mph, steering was touchy cuz i added the DS extenders in front, and couldnt adjust the speed of the steering servo with the stock flysky brand radio it come with, it turned sharply flipped and rolled end over end 5 times on concrete into the ditch. went to look at it, and other than a scraped rear shock top, nothing broke at all.

i keep hearing peeps say the KM's plastic is crap compared to hpi, but my pal can disagree with that as almost every plastic part on his has busted sometime or other. mine hasnt.

i believe Km's plastic isnt as brittle as they say, in fact i think its better.

or at least a lil better than hpi's.

facts are tho, with allthat being said bout upgrades do to them and pretty much not being the same anymore afterwards, why spend 1k on hpi when a km is a few hundred cheaper and are in most respects just a good as hpi is.

it just leaves ya a lil spending money to do upgrades with off the bat.

the main issue with hpi over km or clones are, the peeps that slam ya saying your not buying american if ya don't buy a hpi, and i do support this great nation i live in. but, i see no reason not to buy a km over hpi, my aftermarket parts i get are mostly made for hpi and fir the KM so im still supporting hpi in a sense by using parts designed for hpi.
good point lan but like most brand rcs hpi"s are made in taiwan at lest parts wise :lol: every part stock wise package says that anyway:cup-1:

well see i used to think hpi was from overseas as well but lordraptor1 told me they actually have a plant here in the usa where they make them too, still parts are fromoverseas, tho.

they do have a place here just like kyosho america but the main stuff is from there home plant in japan p.s the dark side cant be that great you don't have milk to go with the cookies:lol::lol::lol:

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks