Clutch issues on brand new rovan 5T

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timboslice

I'm new to the 1/5 scale rc's. I just purchased my 1/5 scale rovan and I think my clutch is shot. I will admit I have been a little worried about hurting it so I've been taking it easy from the start. After the initial engine warm up (1 tank idle, let it cool down, ECT) I started to drive it and started smelling what I thought was my clutch burning. I instantly stopped and poop it down. I attempted to search for a cause and ended up on the interweb. I assumed maby it was just breaking in, idk. Well 1 tank later my truck comes to a stop and started screaming so I turned it off ASAP. I tried to push it by hand and it doesn't want to move. I just need advice or input on what I did wrong or what could have done differently to not burn out my clutch

I'm new to the 1/5 scale rc's. I just purchased my 1/5 scale rovan and I think my clutch is shot. I will admit I have been a little worried about hurting it so I've been taking it easy from the start. After the initial engine warm up (1 tank idle, let it cool down, ECT) I started to drive it and started smelling what I thought was my clutch burning. I instantly stopped and poop it down. I attempted to search for a cause and ended up on the interweb. I assumed maby it was just breaking in, idk. Well 1 tank later my truck comes to a stop and started screaming so I turned it off ASAP. I tried to push it by hand and it doesn't want to move. I just need advice or input on what I did wrong or what could have done differently to not burn out my clutch
There is a good chance you ruined the shoes by putting around slowly. Some clutches don't engage until 8000 rpm making that scenario easier to do. Changing shoes is easy but I suggest going with something like the FS racing metal clutch shoes instead of the factory fiber lined versions. I've ruined fiber lined shoes in the dunes in a couple tanks just from the abrasive nature of the sand. That was in my FG monster beetle. I ended up putting an Elcon clutch in it. No more problems after that. I run the FS shoes in my TLR 5ive B currently and I'm satisfied.

I have a Rovan and I don't know what RPM it goes to before it moves but I'm guessing your number is pretty close.
I like a lower engagement and a more torquey engine. I bought three different Zenoah clutch springs to tune my FS clutch to the RPM range I prefer. It engages at 6400. Interestingly, the FS all metal shoes are actually lighter than the stockers. A bit of math got me the correct spring on the first try.

6k rpm is a "stock" clutch engagement spring. Agree on the fs clutch, about all I run anymore.
Correct. The FS came with an 8000 spring. Because the shoes weigh less than oem Zenoah clutches, I bought different springs to try and get the engagement closer to stock. I believe it ended up being the 6000 spring I used. Lol

Last edited:
Thank u for the response. Can u possibly give a link to a recommended ones your suggesting? Also I know it sounds really dumb but would it be possible to make my own lining as a temporary. Say like if I put epoxy on the shoes or even sandpaper? I realize by doing so I will need to replace the bell as well but didn't know if it was possible
I did take it out and the lining was toasted. It was straight metal on metal.

Hold up! don't buy anything yet.
Diagnose your problem First!
"I'm new to the 1/5 scale rc's" Awesome! Welcome!
"I tried to push it by hand and it doesn't want to move." Is not a clutch problem...
"my truck comes to a stop and started screaming" something is loose/wrong.
Send us pic of the center diff, the brake hardware, the linkage, and the servo...

Hold up! don't buy anything yet.
Diagnose your problem First!
"I'm new to the 1/5 scale rc's" Awesome! Welcome!
"I tried to push it by hand and it doesn't want to move." Is not a clutch problem...
"my truck comes to a stop and started screaming" something is loose/wrong.
Send us pic of the center diff, the brake hardware, the linkage, and the servo...
I believe he has the thing apart and said the stock clutch shoes are worn metal to metal.

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks