Complete Baja Km 5B Rebuild: Help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silent_Chaos

Hey guys, couple of months ago, I have done a complete Rebuilt of my Rampage XB. Made the truck Bullet Proof from 7075RC. Thing is I wanna own a 2wd buggy for a possible future extension to Kraken RC's Sandrail

Im new to Baja, I know some stuff need upgrades out of the box, Now in order to make a full Lightweight Racing 5b, I need your expertise and help.

I have some questions to ask 1st:

1) what car should I get first? (a good bang for the buck)
[FONT=Calibri,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Calibri,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]a) KM Dark Night Aluminum

b) EX Aluminum 2.0 Buggy 30.5cc 4 Bolt Motor (silver)
c) Special Edition EX Aluminum 3.0 Buggy 30.5cc (wild gray)

2) List of Necessary out of the box upgrades (anything missing)?
-Turtle Racing "Quick Diff" Transmission - GUNMETAL
-DDM "Black Magic" 17/57 Hardened Steel Stock Gear Set for TR HD Clutch System
-Turtle Racing "Race Edition" Complete Clutch System
-TR Billet Servo Saver
-Killer RC failsafe

3) Pipe/ Filter
-DT1 Triple Filter
-No clue what pipe to get. Im gona keep the 30.5cc stock with lightened flywheel with 9500 rpm spring. what pipe suits best? im looking for some strong torque and good mid range-top power
(note, might have to install a Reed Engine later on) so have to be careful what pipe to choose here

4) Electronics (if there are any faster servos, lemme know)
-HV Savox 0236Mg
-HV SV-1268SG
-2S lipo Batteries 7.4V

5)Chassis (I'm Lost please help)
I have seen a lot of Chassis. From kraken (made from Polymer) and the scorpion racing version Lightened SHORTY Chassis and tbh, I'm lost.

-What is the best Chassis out there?
-what suits me best? from experience does the Short Chassis help me in keeping the buggy's rear in place while cornering too fast?
-what about other brands? are there any?
-what are your thoughts on the Kraken Polymer Chassis?

6)Suspension/Arms:
-Fast Lane FLM EXTENDED E.F.R. Arm Conversion Kit w/V2 Shock Tower
-Turtle Racing HD Top Plate
-Turtle Racing Billet HD Tranny Plate Rear
-Turtle Racing HD Front Mount/Shock
-Turnbuckles, (please note that I would have already been extended the arms, any good ones. please link)

[/FONT]
[/FONT]
7) Tires/Wheels/Inserts

-Tire: Extra Hard Hostile MX Rear
-Tire: Hard compound MX front
-Rims? (please link)
-Foam? (please link)
anything else? if yes, please advise

I guess this is it for now, IF by any chance I am missing anything, Please let me know. here comes your expertise, I don't want to get the same stuff twice, nor get weak parts.

I appreciate it.
thanks

Last edited:
I have some questions to ask 1st:

1) what car should I get first? (a good bang for the buck)
[FONT=Calibri,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Calibri,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]D) none of the above

I like my KM, definitely a good starting point. The ones you listed are nice, but you are paying extra for parts you will be replacing anyway, and while that Dark Knight looks hot it only has the 2 bolt motor. I'd say go with one of these KSRC-002 buggies, they have the 30.5cc 4 bolt motor and light but strong nylon arms.

2) List of Necessary out of the box upgrades (anything missing)?
Only thing I did from that list was the failsafe. I also added killer kables and KM shock covers straight out of the box. Doing it again I'd probably get a different style shock cover.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

I'd be interested in hearing the answers to everything else you ask. Need to start putting together an upgrade list myself so I can replace things as they break/I feel like it.

I'd be interested in hearing the answers to everything else you ask. Need to start putting together an upgrade list myself so I can replace things as they break/I feel like it.

Correct, after a lot of thinking, I will go with the basic [FONT=Calibri,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Calibri,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]KSRC-002.
A lot of parts are going to be replaced anyway. I can save couple of hundred $

the other upgrades are from what I have gathered from forums and other user experiences. I guess what I did is pretty much 95% complete.
just need to be sure that Im not missing anything major
http://www.kingmotorrc.com/category_s/54.htm
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

After some research,

Need to add the following:
-Yamadude Throttle Linkage
-Dark soul rear Shock Tower
-DDM V2 for pipe is confirmed

as for the wheels:

-Rims:
ProLine Desperado with Beadlocks Front
ProLine Desperado with Beadlocks Rear

-Foams:
Hostile Rear 5b zero
Hostile Front Foam soft compound

If you're buying all them upgrades then you'll be better off building 1 from scratch...

can't go wrong with any TR bits, Only 2 chassis's i'd use - Kraken or IRC (innovative rc)

Silverback rc products are the only wheels and beads i'd use..

you'll always get more from a side pipe but the Dom is a excellent tested product..

and stay away from the alloy KM's as the alloy isn't the best and ware very quickly around the pins..

If you're buying all them upgrades then you'll be better off building 1 from scratch...

can't go wrong with any TR bits, Only 2 chassis's i'd use - Kraken or IRC (innovative rc)

Silverback rc products are the only wheels and beads i'd use..

you'll always get more from a side pipe but the Dom is a excellent tested product..

and stay away from the alloy KM's as the alloy isn't the best and ware very quickly around the pins..

What is the difference between the Kraken Chassis and the IRC?
I want something reliable

I think the Kraken chassis falls under their replacement policy. I just got some of their arms, to replace the broken RPM arm that I was told they (RPM) wouldn't replace. They (Kraken) have a near no questions asked replacement for their arms, not sure about the chassis, worth looking into though.

enuba4e8.jpg

Got a use 5b 26cc instead. :)
And yes it's genuine HPI I double checked

Pretty rigged out. All integy Aluminum tho, gona upgrade them slowly to FLM and TR products.

Has the Power steering Control installed on. Bow tie trenchers, gt3b radio. Battery led indicator. Some pretty cool decals

1st things first.
New hv servos and 2S batt coming up

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks