Count the teeth!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

voo2doo

In Memoriam
PLUS member
I am of the understanding that the general FG gear sets on a standard FG gear carrier are for example 16-48, 18-46, 20-44 etc,etc. Can anyone explain this? Its a shot of the alloyed marder I broke and just looking at the gear set it shows 20-48???:confused: The pitch on both gears look the same and the mesh is ok,the gear carrier has not been altered in any way?
J.

maybe a 20-48 ratio runs a bit tight & the heat from the extra friction soften up the metal & weaken the teeth????? Especially at the speed that thing was going at :clown:

No,this hasnt been run yet .It was stripped as soon as it was bought.doesn't run tight, very free in fact.I just can suss this one.All the teeth look to be in perfect condition.....HMMM....
J.

only thing I can think of is that the actual teeth are a tad narrower than a 46T to allow 48T on the same diameter. This would give the same gap between the teeth as a 46T and allow the 20T spur to mesh correctly (well not tight anyway) and will give the space for the extra 2 teeth if you get what I mean...

Naw,just came back from Jasons(another 5 th scaler) We were just putting the finishing touches to his Rally cross car. Looks gooooood!
J.
Might have a go of it tonight.

fg gears are different size than fh. going through that crap right now... and I had to change a layshaft gear until I realized I mixed up mounts on 2 rides... waiting for a cal to pick up the pay and just got off my graveyard shift so going to take over my kitchen table and rip 2 rc's apart to fix the problem.

I'll take a pic of an fg and fh gear side by side so you can see. they will be the same tooth count but different size circumference

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks