Craigslist HPI Baja 5T I'm interested in, need advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SySTeMaT1c

Hi guys, I'm new to the forums, wondering if you guys could give me some advice.

I saw an ad on Craigslist, and a guy pretty close to me is selling a 5t without a radio for 475$. First off, I should ask, is this a good price? Apparently it comes with a ton of extras and a "tuned pipe". He sent me pictures, and compared to my Savage X it looks to be in pretty darn good condition, except for a dent on the tuned pipe, that's all I could find though (In the pictures). If you guys can assure me that this is a pretty good deal I'll go take a look and try to bargain with him.

He insists that it's a real HPI, it has a few HPI badges here and there, and it has the same wheels as the HPI RTR kit. That's all I could tell from the photos, some info on the differences from the real HPI Baja's and the clones would be appreciated!

Now, I'm completely new to gas 2 stroke engines, looking to get into something a little bigger from my nitro RC's. What should I look for in how it runs to see if the engine is good?

Also, I have a few transmitters I could use, but what do I need to make them work on this truck? I have a Traxxas TQ1 (I believe), and a remote from an HPI Savage X 4.1 RTR kit.

Sorry to burden you guys with all of these questions guys, but I hope to become a regular member and use this site often, any help is GREATLY appreciated! Any of these questions answered would be great! Thanks!

Welcome to LSF.

Glad you have the bug!!

Have you had RC's before?

It's up to you. Perhaps follow some of the threads a bit longer and read up through the Forum - LOADS of crap, but LOADS of very useful information.

I suppose it's up to you.
Can you physically visit and see it running?

If you read elsewhere here, 'HPI' stamped everywhere is not guarantee of an excellent rig, but it is a great starting point.

BOTTOM LINE - IT'S UP TO YOU!!
Personally, I don't have any large HPI, but I do like the 5T.
Al.

$475 sounds to good to be true but without photos its hard to judge...

Hpi stamp the wheels, tyres, radio tray, spur gear cover and usually the ball joints are grey (clones seem to have black)...if you can view in the flesh and try out and your happy with it then @ $475 for a HPI is a good buy, if it ends up as a clone but has the bad bits swapped out for upgraded parts then i'd say it is still a good buy..

Get some photos up or the Craigslist link up so we can give you a better opinion..

He sent me photos via text, it looks to be in pretty decent shape.

Yes I have owned RC's before, I have a Traxxas Stampede and a HPI Savage X. I've been into them for about 5 years now.

My biggest concern is the fact that it doesn't include a radio. What do I need to do to make my HPI or Traxxas radio work on that?

Thanks for the replies guys! I will look around the forums here!

Does it have any orange plastic parts on it? That's usually a sign that it could be a clone. Unless they are RPM arms that have been dyed orange.

i had buy one my self for $600 needed a new radio and transmiter and cv boots and few other things total investment is $860 and its running nice just be carful i was first one just make sure parts are available near you and hit and miss its fun as heak though

i had buy one my self for $600 needed a new radio and transmiter and cv boots and few other things total investment is $860 and its running nice just be carful i was first one just make sure parts are available near you and hit and miss its fun as heak though
Did you bother to look at the date of last post? It's from 2012.

Oh My God Reaction GIF by reactionseditor

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks