Crappy advice given......

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reddog

Hi all!

I just tought i share my experience with you.

Couple days ago i called my lhs guy (well about 200 miles from me but he is the only one who sells large scale accesories here in slovakia) and asked him about the quick release tank cap made by lauterbacher.
My question was to him, do i need separate ventilation for this special cap? He saying: No!! because when you primeing, the tank fills up with air throught pumping on the primer before you start the engine.
Well i thought it is a bit strange, does not make sense to me!! Im no scientist, but i know if im drinking something form a plastik bottle, i hawe to let the air get in. Other wise the bottle will change its shape,
and after while the juice stops floating in my mouth. And my lips wil be sucked in the bottle.
So the air has to go in somwhere? Maybe throught the carb? Throught the air filter?( would be to complicated there must be an easyer way ) Than why is that tini little hole on the gas cap ? Has to do something?

So i asked him.
He was also saying, the hole on the gas cap lets air out and not in. Asked him and so if it lets air out why is not letting gas out as well? He mentioned somekind of gore tex material that lets air in or out but not liquids (i know this material because i snowboard and hawe this in my pants and my jacket and it keeps me dry even it lets the jacket to ventilate but wont let liquids to get inside).
Again no sense to me.
It is just not easyer to let the air in the tank than out of the tank (manufacturing and working wise less components less failure possibility and cheaper to produce as well).
So i was still in doubt, wisited the german large scale shops site that we all love (www.rc-***-online.de), searched for the product and in seconds my question was answered.
"Please note: Solo tank style breather lines 8352 are required when using this cap on a Zenoah tank!"
So i was a bit proud of myself that i did not let a guy foul me who suposed to be more experienced that i am.
But i will still asking him questions (just to hawe a laugh and be a bit proud of myself more times) but buy from the germans.

Ithink there will be more stories like this..........:-D

He was wrong you were right. The FG tanks much the same as Laut work off a principle of letting the air IN not out.If you need to vent your tank here is a picture of one of mine.It works great.I just drilled a small hole in the tank and added a car brake cylinder bleed nipple.
J.

Last edited:
yes now i know...as well...poor guy and he runs a track as well a large one. but never mind i will still calll him to get some funny info and share it with you so we can all have a laugh.:cool2:

LOL... I don't think he'll get far on that track of his!!LOL

Off the subject, when we were re-modeling our house, I believe I've heard it all... All the excuses to make me spend more money and waste more time... The people really think that they are talking to people who have not the slightest clue.. Usually it works out for most, but as soon as you call them out on their B.S. they sound sillier and sillier..

Chris

Absolutely true Zouz!!!
I know it is funny but, it is sad as well. Crappy advice can make someone stop with the hobby just because it does not work as the "man" told.

You know what else makes me mad is when you go to some hobby shops and they think they are God... When i was a kid there were only 2 local hobby shops and no internet so that really made it hard.. they looked at me like i couldn't afford it even if i tried... Guess what, they are out of business now because my good friend opened a hobby shop in town and he has more than terrific customer service and does not give B.S. answers to people.

I feel bad for the poor kid that gets the bad advice and make them stop the hobby like you said..

Chris

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks