DBXL 2.0 Crunchy gears after FID diff housing install (Problem found/fixed)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenyanr1

Guys, I had a “crunchy gear” issue that I thought I resolved with servicing both front and rear diffs, with new fluid, upgrading to FID diff housings, and finding and replacing an exploded bearing on the front input gear. I did have trouble where I eventually had to remove the shims from the case housings so all gears would rotate smoothly. (Diff would not rotate smoothly with the housing shims front/rear). After all that and new bearings and shims on both input gears, I still have loud “crunching” under load. Anyone have these issues? Also, can someone advise me on shimming the input gear?

Is there only 1 diff or 3? Cause the 1 you rebuilt is not the "Crunchy" one.

On my Losi 8T and 8T 1.0 the diffs were a giant pain to shim and very very fussy on the shim sizes. I even had to shim to Sun and Planetary gears even after lapping them to make them smooth. Besides my Tekno diffs these were the strongest (Never blew one) i ever ran on 6S. Like most things patients is key for me. Or is that OCD Anal? Either way take your time.

Is there only 1 diff or 3? Cause the 1 you rebuilt is not the "Crunchy" one.

On my Losi 8T and 8T 1.0 the diffs were a giant pain to shim and very very fussy on the shim sizes. I even had to shim to Sun and Planetary gears even after lapping them to make them smooth. Besides my Tekno diffs these were the strongest (Never blew one) i ever ran on 6S. Like most things patients is key for me. Or is that OCD Anal? Either way take your time.
I rebuilt, serviced, and examined the front and rear multiple times. Center diff looks fine but I could be wrong. I did find an input gear bearing completely destroyed. I’m gonna take them apart and play with the shims

you need the shims inserted, without them your gears will bind (crunch effect as you mention!). Happened to me, until i installed the diff shims.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks