Custom large scale project (Mini-mo)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ahhhh, the clicking. It was due to the chain not having sufficient tension on it. I have since improved it. It's funny how the clicking sound kind of goes away when you're the driver :D

Been a while since anything concrete has happened with my car as I was waiting on an order from DDM. It arrived including a new air filter, Outerwears pre-filter and Walbro WT-603 carb, amongst other things. To inaugurate the new items, I decided to add some paddle tires to the car:

IMG_8845.jpg

The carb required some work to fit onto the engine - in my excitment to order the carb kit, I forgot to the one with the intake manifold included so I had to make one. Also, the aluminum piece holding the throttle cable wouldn't fit on the carb since it would touch the engine when mounted. More part making...

IMG_8854.jpg

But alas, I have to say having a carb that actually has a low and high speed needle that can be adjusted on the fly is excellent. I find the acceleration and top speed are quite better as compared to the stock carb.

Next stop, improve the accuracy and strength of the steering system based on the HPI Baja assembly. The parts have already arrived so I'll hopefully have that done in a while.

Looking good Fab! Looks like no stranger to machining ;)

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help ya out buddy.

Thanks Mike. If only I had a fraction of the machining skills you have...I manage with the mill we have in our lab.

You should introduce yourself in the Introductions sub-forum, that way we'll give you a warm welcome and advise you to get a large scale :D

well thats what i like to see some one with 2 left hand s :lol:and sitll knows what to do.i like the doubel shassi and the pipe looks very mean and i think it would look top with this body http://s208.photobucket.com/albums/bb231/lbsickboy/?start=20

what do you think fabe its made from fiber glas and where did you get those wheels from

:cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2::):cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2:

not the paddle wheels and i was talking about the beetle body

Last edited:
well thats what i like to see some one with 2 left hand s :lol:and sitll knows what to do.i like the doubel shassi and the pipe looks very mean and i think it would look top with this body http://s208.photobucket.com/albums/bb231/lbsickboy/?start=20

what do you think fabe its made from fiber glas and where did you get those wheels from

:cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2::):cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2:

not the paddle wheels and i was talking about the beetle body

Thanks, the double chassis was initially to be able to mount the bulkheads on 2 levels, as well as for rigidity for 2 places to bolt everything. There's no flexing at all.

As for a body, I haven't found anything yet that I really like and would fit well. I'm leaning towards a monster truck or stadium truck, although I would love to fit something like an Audi street car body to it.

The paddle tires are mounted to a set of rims that I recently got in a trade. When I get home I'll take a better pic of them and see if I can find out the make of them.

I had a chance to take a look at the rims and they're Imex Blue Ninja Chrome Rims found here. They're a little less sturdy for large scales than some other rims I've used since the plastic is very thin on the inside of the rim. I still find they look nice though...

Well, with the HPI Bellcranks in hand I set out to improve my steering. With the parts in front of me, I realized a few things to overcome:

- The bellcrank and posts were too high for my application
- The amount of space was limited because I have a front driveshaft (4WD car)
- The Servo was on the wrong side AND did not rotate along the same axis (front/back, versus left/right)

After much cursing, I decided on a plan of action, wich included:

- Mill the bellcrank and posts down to size
- Make a shorter part joining the two bellcranks together to allow more space
- Rotate the servo and add a joining linkage

These mods are summarized in the follwing pics:

Before modifying bellcrank and post.
IMG_9026.jpg

Modified bellcrank and posts.
IMG_9045.jpg

After modifying bellcrank and posts.
IMG_9050.jpg

It's tight, but doable and I love the ability to adjust the tension in the servo saver. Gotta love the Baja, even though I don't physically have one in my posession yet.

Next step, mount everything up and test it.

Quick update - I added heavy duty turnbuckles and rod ends for the steering assembly:

IMG_9055.jpg

Everything seems to turn properly. Now I have to work on making the receiver box compartment smaller as the steering assembly swings where the box is (upper left corner of pic).

A test drive is getting closer and closer now... :D

Well I finally managed to get the car back together and went out for a test drive. Everything works well with the new Baja modded steering system. No vid, but I've got a few night action shots:

DSCN6139.jpg
DSCN6147.jpg
DSCN6151.jpg
DSCN6152.jpg
DSCN6164.jpg
DSCN6154.jpg

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks