DBXL 2.0 DBXL 2.0 + Taylor 35 Reed V2 Issue?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tizdaz

Hi guys, anyone had issues with clearance from the center middle shaft cup rubbing the inner fan case of the reed case?

Will post some pics later but had a major issue, long story short, ripped a hole through the case, damaged a cup & lost a pin! :( got new parts ready to replace, but just curious if anyone has fit the taylor reed v2 yet with there dibby 2.0?

Like i say, will post some pics soon, Cheers!

Hi guys, anyone had issues with clearance from the center middle shaft cup rubbing the inner fan case of the reed case?

Will post some pics later but had a major issue, long story short, ripped a hole through the case, damaged a cup & lost a pin! :( got new parts ready to replace, but just curious if anyone has fit the taylor reed v2 yet with there dibby 2.0?

Like i say, will post some pics soon, Cheers!
hi guys, ok so here's a few pics of the issue, running stock gearing with a 35 Reed V2 Taylor mill. It basically destroyed the casing/flywheel & also the Center Cup & Rear Centre Drive Shaft as the grub had welded its self due to the heat when the cup was rubbing i guess.

casing dmg 2.jpgcasing dmg.png

casing dmg 5.jpg

1st two pics shows the aftermath of a run, the 3rd pic is with the repairs done showing clearly the clearance issue!?

This is definitely an issue as the cup is basically skimming the reed case, which has caused the cup to heat up & in turn its broken the studlock seal used to keep the pin fixed which has caused that to fail so the pin came loose and basically ripped through the case.

Total damage done was around £180 mark, but Fair play to Mike at Taylor RC.. We came to an agreement that he sent me replacement casing & Flyhweel & I have replaced the drive shafts, this would have cost me around £160 in total but in the end it cost me around £70 for the 2 shafts.

But my main concern was this happening again! I taken it out today and it seems to have held up, but i didn't really do any hard bashing that can cause the chassis to flex as i think this is where the cup would make contact with the casing, But will see.

I'm thinking of maybe going to a larger size pinion to move the engine over slightly which would give more clearance, atm I'm running 20T pinion, so if I went 21T pinion, what size spur should I get to try keep the same ratio?

Cheers!

casing dmg 2.jpg

casing dmg 5.jpg
few more pics of the damage:

20240422_000240.jpg20240422_000252.jpg
20240422_000158.jpg20240422_000227.jpg
20240421_214420.jpg

Last edited:
just sacrifice your current gearing tizdaz, just go up a tooth on the pinion or up a tooth on the spur then run the car around that gearing,
if the engine has plenty of power for the 20tooth gearing then go 2 teeth maybe (y)

just sacrifice your current gearing tizdaz, just go up a tooth on the pinion or up a tooth on the spur then run the car around that gearing,
if the engine has plenty of power for the 20tooth gearing then go 2 teeth maybe (y)
hi buddy! To be honest, there isn't a ton of power really believe it or not, better than the ESP i had, but wouldn't say by a huge amount, but yeh i may try a larger toother gear, at least so i can put some silicon tubing over the cup so if pin does come loose it wont do damage again!!..cheers buddy ;)

hi buddy! To be honest, there isn't a ton of power really believe it or not, better than the ESP i had, but wouldn't say by a huge amount, but yeh i may try a larger toother gear, at least so i can put some silicon tubing over the cup so if pin does come loose it wont do damage again!!..cheers buddy ;)
1 or 2 teeth difference should be fine tizdaz (y), it wont make a massive difference to the gear ratio,
if your gonna put sommat over the cup then a better bet is heat shrink,
car builder solutions over here in uk have some really good glue lined heat shrink,
so the glue melts when ya shrink it and it stays in place, but is still easy enough to cut off when ya need to (y)

1 or 2 teeth difference should be fine tizdaz (y), it wont make a massive difference to the gear ratio,
if your gonna put sommat over the cup then a better bet is heat shrink,
car builder solutions over here in uk have some really good glue lined heat shrink,
so the glue melts when ya shrink it and it stays in place, but is still easy enough to cut off when ya need to (y)
Excellent thanks buddy!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks