DBXL Brushless conversion gearing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bryan K.

Hey guys, just like to get an idea of what you guys with DBXL brushless conversions are running for gearing? I have different gearing for on road and grass, but I seem to be running at the limit with both setups.

Running the Kershaw conversion, 8S (4S x 5000mah 60C lipos), 200amp ESC, 780KV motor.

On tarmac I run 17T/61T (pinion/spur) - motor gets hot, but within limits. Still I'd like it to run cooler. I barely brake and not much full throttle, still runs pretty hot.
On grass I run 14T/61T (pinion/spur) - same deal, motor gets pretty hot, but seems acceptable. Not much top end but lots of torque for grass runs.

I ran the 17T/61T setup on grass and my motor was scalding hot. I couldn't touch the motor for even a second. It even melted the red threadlock on my pinion screw and the pinion blew off the motor shaft. Both my lipos puffed up like footballs. I've been using these lipos for years on tarmac without even the slightly puff. Is my only option for grass runs to use the gas motor? It's starting to become apparent to me that 1/5 scale brushless is a novelty and really only good for tarmac runs. I'd like to hear your experiences? Do I need higher C rated batteries? That's already rated for 300A current draw (5000mah x 60C). It was the first time my ESC actually felt hot. It usually runs completely cool, not even warm.

Any overheating issues with a gas motor on grass?

Someone with more knowledge about 1/5 scale brushless will chime in. But I'll give you my 2 cents. It seems that a awful lot of guys have issues with 1/5 scale brushless running in grass getting too hot. Gearing down and some sort of cooling fans on the motor seem to help but runs are still limited in duration. I think 12s would be more forgiving imo. the only thing I have to compare to is my savage xl I converted( heavy/big side of 1/8 scal). I had to gear it down to keep the motor from getting hot. I started on 4s and ended up running 6s. It runs much cooler on the 6s and the gearing down didnt seem to matter so much at that point as it is way faster on the 6s.

Someone with more knowledge about 1/5 scale brushless will chime in. But I'll give you my 2 cents. It seems that a awful lot of guys have issues with 1/5 scale brushless running in grass getting too hot. Gearing down and some sort of cooling fans on the motor seem to help but runs are still limited in duration. I think 12s would be more forgiving imo. the only thing I have to compare to is my savage xl I converted( heavy/big side of 1/8 scal). I had to gear it down to keep the motor from getting hot. I started on 4s and ended up running 6s. It runs much cooler on the 6s and the gearing down didnt seem to matter so much at that point as it is way faster on the 6s.

I've thought about that as well, since I know that a higher voltage setup will draw fewer amps which will equate to a cooler running setup, in theory. However, going over 8S you're looking at whole new level when it comes to price. Most 1/5 ESC's and motors out there will only do 8S. Even the DBXL-E is a 8S max setup with a under-spec'd ESC. With the 8s+ capable MGM setup you're looking at the purchase price of 2 new DBXL's! I also feel like the DBXL's drive line wouldn't take it so lots would have to be upgraded in that area too. It just doesn't seem feasible.

I do remember when I was running a 6S setup for fun, the ESC would overheat and shut off.

Yes it would be rather expensive. The dbxl has its flaws but with some tweaking they take power decently. Imo its would take the higher s rating to make it work right..... or just come back to the light and but a g320 zen in it ??

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks