DBXL center driveshafts getting very hot!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bryan K.

Hey guys,

I have a brushless converted DBXL and run 8S. I noticed that after 8-10min runs of moderate bashing (nothing too crazy) that the center shafts get very hot. You can't even put your finger on them for more than a second. They're literally burning hot. Is this normal? I'm just scared of something warping while it's at speed. Parts on this thing are really expensive as I'm discovering. Losi + 1/5 scale = $$$. At least the upgraded parts are cheaper. I've greased all the dog bone joints and make sure there's no binding and that they aren't too tight. They're all good. Is this maybe just because of the brushless power? Definitely more torque and overall RPM in the brushless setups vs. gas. I'm more comfortable with the driving temps of the motor and related parts on Tarmac, but tarmac is boring. Running in grass puts way more load on the parts too I'm sure.

thanks,

B

that will b irreverent imo......battery placement(y)...as they don't get that hot.....(y).......and if they do..u better run....:ROFLMAO:..prob jujs a combination of higher rmp`s and the play/movement/cup rub making them hot.....(y)

Bearings are good. I just replaced the bearing holder with an AreaRC aluminum one. I've had bearing's seize up on different cars before. They pretty much shatter then melt the plastic holder, so none of that happened on the DBXL. All the bearings were still silky smooth when I removed them. I also regularly clean and reoil them as I'm quite meticulous with maintenance. I think if the dog bones were binding up in the cups that they would have snapped or shown some abnormal amounts of wear. However, both cups and dog bone show no signs of wear. I thought I'd ask if the heat was normal just because it was something I noticed and thought may have been abnormal. I'm running 8S 17T pinion on an 780KW motor. On my 1/8 scale truggy, the center driveshaft (dog bones) get warm, but never hot. I don't suspect a run up and down the street will cause issues, but I run my rc cars mainly in grass so that puts a lot of load on the parts I'm sure.

I got to run my dbxl for a bit this afternoon. Well about an hour or so. My center shaft got warmish even after some real hard runs up and down the big hill in my back yard I was still able to touch them and not get burned. I have a obr32 reed v1 in it so it gets worked a lot harder then the stock engine. May just be the instant torque of the electric.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks