DBXL DDM springs too stiff?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stock should be 30 WT in the shocks not 3000cst. You would really only find 1kcst & up in a diff not in a shock.

I don't see how adding stiffer fluid in the shocks solves the preload issue (it doesn't). I actually found the stock fluid too stiff for the stock springs. The stiffer DDM springs I find were paired perfectly with the thickness of the stock diff fluid 3000wt. The stock springs weren't stiff enough to give the suspension smooth travel. Adding thicker oil would only slow down the rebound rate even more. Seems really counter productive IMO. The only reason to run stiffer springs with more preload and run thicker fluid would be to prevent the buggy from bottoming out during jumps. Aside from that, it seems detrimental to handling since it prevents suspension travel. As previously stated, the DDM springs come preloaded when installed. They're too long, not necessarily too stiff.

Regardless of whether or not the DDM setup is better, it still doesn't change the fact that the increased preload bends the A-Arms, something that I cannot live with. Just the amount of difficulty compressing the springs to install into the A-arms is a testament to how much pressure there is acting against the arms. I've never seen a setup like this on any RC car and I have over 70 and I've setup and tuned the suspension on almost all of them. With the droop screws all the way in, there should be none or close to no preload on the arms.

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks