DBXL Nightmares

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PHillary

Every since I brought this truck I have been experiencing nothing but break downs...first it was the battery shipped as junk...Horizon sent me a new one....took it out five minutes later the pinion backed out...now I have stripped gears on a brand new truck...so much for out the box ready to run...it should have been out the box ready to fix...disappointed for real

+1 on what he said.

The urge to gas it up and go is great, but in doing so, you have created more down time from something that wasn't tight enough/not enough loctite.

Always go over any rtr put loctite thats just standard .........id still do that if i was you?

I did but I didn’t think I was going to have to refasten the transmission and pinion gears...at what point is a RTR a Ready to run to break down this far I should have brought a kit like the 5ive b all of the 1/8 scale kyosho I have brought I never had to do anything for months before the first breakdown happen and that was because I was running the crap out of it....I will never by another ready to run from this Company....kits only from now on if I have to put it back together myself....just knew I should have held out for the 5ive b...just wanted to play with something now! That's what I get for not being patient.

This is the dblx reputation.......but what you should have done is research before you bought.... there are a load of guys here that have got past the shite with their dbxl rigs and now they are solid. So hang in there and read some threads here ask qusetions we all want to help? it will just take a few thing to get you out the woods?

Last edited:
Should I change the piñon screw to a larger/fatter one and/or put plumbers tape on it....I loctited it when I first got it but it back out anyway I know it seems like a silly question but should I let the loctite completely dry before reattaching it to the motor???

Should I change the piñon screw to a larger/fatter one and/or put plumbers tape on it....I loctited it when I first got it but it back out anyway I know it seems like a silly question but should I let the loctite completely dry before reattaching it to the motor???
Yes you have to let the loctite completely cure before running it

Before I bought a dbxl e I looked at all sorts of reviews and people broke this and that. I honestly have only misplaced the passengers head for a brief moment and messed up some cv boots from tree moss. Mine has tumbled several times along with multiple jump sessions. I also went through it before running it.

I got one of the first k&n dbxl. It was a boat anchor out of the box. I've hashed most the issues out of it. Saying that if I had a do over I would have gotten a 5T. But I wanted a cheap 5th for my first one. Believe me i made the same mistake as you. Gassed it up, tore it up. Broke it. Tore it apart checked everything. Broke this and that. Upgraded this and that. I beat the pants off it now and other then breaking from me being stupid it doesn't really give much crap.
I don't know if the fixed the shocks on the newer dbxl but once you get a little time on it theres a nice write up on her for converting to 5t shocks. The stock dbxl leave something to be desired. And it wouldn't hurt to get chassis braces and alloy diffs/ center diff carrier. The plastic ones like to melt if they get too hot.

Every since I brought this truck I have been experiencing nothing but break downs...first it was the battery shipped as junk...Horizon sent me a new one....took it out five minutes later the pinion backed out...now I have stripped gears on a brand new truck...so much for out the box ready to run...it should have been out the box ready to fix...disappointed for real
Damn! A few more bucks and could of went losi 5t

nothing is rtr out the box dude unfortunately☹....u have...imo got to do the full nut bolt hex chk over.?...and strip and chk diffs and shoxs BEFORE u run any rc..?...but yeah the db has a bit of a dodgy track record regarding durability......?
i never really had any probs with mine.?..although I only ran it not much? i knew it had to go as i knew i wanted a 5ive as there a 1000% better rc?

Last edited:
nothing is rtr out the box dude unfortunately☹....u have...imo got to do the full nut bolt hex chk over.?...and strip and chk diffs and shoxs BEFORE u run any rc..?...but yeah the db has a bit of a dodgy track record regarding durability......?
i never really had any probs with mine.?..although I only ran it not much? i knew it had to go as i knew i wanted a 5ive as there 1000% better

Oh Yes!...just not from this Company...like i've said before the 1/8th Kyoshos I've brought made this car seem like a piece of crap out of the box I brought a TKI3 & a GT2 both RTR out the box and both cars performed excellent out of the box...No breakdowns for months and when they did break down it was because I was bashing them left & right......I liked the look of this truck/buggy plus the online reviews wasn't that bad they said what you all are saying now...I just didn't realize I was going to have to take the whole thing apart and put it back together might as well been sold as a complete build yourself RTR kit at least then I would have known what parts might come alose and/or will need immediate replacement or upgrading....just saying out of the box ready to run quality from this company should have been higher for almost 1K....no problem fixing it or making repairs, but all I wanted to do right now for the next few weeks was have fun be it at the track or the park shouldn't of had to rebuild or reinstall the transmission and gears after 1.5 tanks, really!....but it's cool the truck is a nice truck and I am sure I will be happy like you guys have stated once I work out all of the kinks....oh and I would have brought the 5ive B kit because I'm just a buggy fan from my 1/8-10th scale days reminds me of my TKI 3. Thanks for all of your replies and I will keep yall posted of anything else that comes up.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks