DBXL Shock rebuild

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Domino

Hi all, a few months ago I bought a second hand dbxl and it was a right lemon, to be honest, it was cheap so I’m not surprised. I’ve stripped the thing completely and have ordered a load of bits I need to get it back up and running but I forgot to order anything for the shocks. I’ve had a quick look around and it seems that they take 3k diff fluid, but I’ve also read in a couple of places that the newer ones take regular shock fluids, is this true? How do I know which version I have?

Ive had a look for rebuild kits and I can only seem to find the below, I’m assuming this is all I will need? And going back to the first question, would this be 3k diff fluid or normal shock fluid?

https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/207...MIyMK9ooLb6AIVmpntCh2P6g-EEAQYASABEgLxwvD_BwE

Any help would be great

You got nothing to lose, put descent weight oil if shocks are soft if shocks are rather stiff use light oil, not diff fluid

Guessing you've never felt with these shocks. They take diff fluid from the factory. Too heavy a weight will break the pistons. The spring rate is too light as well. Some guys like the DDM upgrade springs. I didnt care for them either. There were aftermarket 3d printed pistons you could buy, but they suffered the same issues as the stickers too stiff of oil and they bust. I got sick of sinking money in them to have sub par shocks that constantly gave issues. So now after having owned a dbxl for going on 6 years I just tell everyone that will hear me. Get 5ive t shocks and be done with it.

Thanks all, the plan is to definitely get the 5t shocks eventually but the Money is being sunk into the rest of the car, I may or may not need a new engine so I’ll hold out for the time being. I’ll bang some shock fluid in and see what happens, if they leak again, I’ll just save up for the 5t shocks rather than re buying the kit.

Will 5K diff fluid be too thick for the stock DBXL shocks? I wasn't aware of the piston breaking issue. I'm actually satisfied with mine. The stock spring rate is decent, but definitely no good for jumps. IMO all the DDM HD Springs do, is stop the rig from bottoming out in jumps. Over sprung with way too much preload. It did nothing to actually improve the handling and performance. Since I don't abuse my rig too much or constantly bounce around on ruts, the stock shocks are OK for my use.

It's definitely a balancing act. I feel like once I use the 5K thicker diff fluid, I'll need to run the DDM springs again to get proper rebound action.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks