DDM 4600 mah battery and 4pks radio

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lan-Ed-Tul

i just got to wondering, the receiver battery i put in is a 4600mah from DDM, and its a 6 volt, on the stock receiver and TX set. if i go get me a 4pks TX and receiver, can i still use the 6 volt 4600Mah DDM battery with the 4pks reciever, or will it fry the receiver?

thot of that just now, i would hate to have to get a higher mah battery in a lower voltage to use all over again

thanks, anyone have a reccomendations for a larger mah Tx pack than it comes with? think its a 1700 mah 6 volt rechargeable.

i have seen the life 6.6 volt 1900 mah, but really don't wanna have to get another charger to deal with for just one battery.

i got a Prophet charger right now im using to charge just bout everything i use. good charger does my rock crawlers batteries, and the trucks 4600 mah hump battery from DDM

Without going to life/lipo and getting an appropriate charger, I think the stock 1700mah nimh is about the best you're going to do. That should be good for a realistic 6-7 hours of continuous run time. The receiver battery is going to crap out before the transmitter does.

The Futuba FHT5F1700B (1700mAh) is the only NiMH pack I've seen available for the 4PK / 4PKS. The Hobbico 6.6 Volt 1900mAh LiFe as you've already pointed out is another alternative but it is a LiFe battery. If you really wanted a different battery, you could pick up the Hobbico LiFe charger as well for just $35.

I use this LiFe battery in my 4PL and the battery lasts forever, I'd recommend going this route for sure.

well if chargers not that expensive i may just do it then, i just didnt want to pay what i paid for the prophet charger all over again for just one battery.

35 isnt too high to pay. prophet run me like 80 for it.

i just got to wondering, the receiver battery i put in is a 4600mah from DDM, and its a 6 volt, on the stock receiver and TX set. if i go get me a 4pks TX and receiver, can i still use the 6 volt 4600Mah DDM battery with the 4pks reciever, or will it fry the receiver?

thot of that just now, i would hate to have to get a higher mah battery in a lower voltage to use all over again

It will be fine, do not worry.
SzL

I think you have a misunderstanding about electricity. The capacity (eg mAh) of a battery hs no impact on the receiver at all, other thn lasting longer before going flat. On the other hand the voltage of the battery can cause damage if it is too high. The DDM battery is a nominal 6 volts, which is absolutely normal for the radio.

no, i know what mah means, i didnt read the output volts that the 4pks handles, read over it first time thru. finally found some info on Rx voltages it handles, and i know now that the DDM 4600 mah 6 volt battery will run just fine.\ with 4pks Rx.

and i also found out the life Tx pack is 6.6 volts output, but didnt find out what the 4pks Tx's voltage input is. so will the 6.6 volt life Tx pack hurt the Tx?? if i put one in? thats main query i got.

6.6 volts will be just fine in the 4PKS.

For the record, the Rx has a working voltage of 3.5-8.4V and the Tx will handle up to 8V with a low battery warning at 4.9V.

Ed
They claim the Tx draws less than 250mah of current. If that's correct the stock battery should last over 6 hours before it needs to be recharged. It seem to me like that should be plenty. Just wondering what you'd need more than 6 hours of runtime for. Are you entered into a 12 hour endurance race? It's not much difference in run time to go from a 1700 to a 1900, less than an hour difference. Is that enough time to justify spending money for both a battery and a charger?

Last edited:
nah, lol not any endurance racing,lol just wanted as long a run on a charge as i can get. ordered the 6.6 life 1900 battery and a charger of tower.

39 bucks for battery and 39 bucks for the charger. my DDM list has shipped minus the hostile links. they werent in stock, but Dave said soon as they are he'll ship them out to me. thats ok what i got to do putting upgrades on and radio setup, will take a lil time, so i bet theyll be here before i finish up with the upgrades.

Even though the continuous runtime advantage is minimal, the particular advantage to a lithium battery over a nicad/nimh is the lack of self discharge. This is especially nice for the infrequent runners or the folks who only get to bash on weekends. You can just grab your transmitter and go without having to worry about your charge level after it's been sitting around for a while and maybe only have to charge once or twice a month depending on how many hours you get to run.

i figured for no more than it cost me off tower for the batt and charger, it was worth the investment.

yah that means i have to run 2 different chargers, my prophet for the Rx and the LiFe for the Tx, but no biggie really.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks