ddm 5000 Ni-MH and Hobbico LiFe 2 cell

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lumbeemick

Hello Large Scale Members,

I have some questions that I need help with. I have a racers edge surecharge pro balance charger and I am very new to these chargers and battery's. I also have a ddm 5000 Ni-MH and Hobbico LiFe battery. They are new and have never been ran or chargered. First question is what set up on the charger should I use, Discharge and charger, or charge and discharge. I have plenty of time to do this I'm in no hurry. As for the 5000, I need to know what is the lowest amps and voltage to charge and discharge and the safest time limit on each of the different batteries. I don't want to blow up a 175 dollar charger, at least that what I paid for it in february, and 85 dollars worth of batteries. Thanks for any help.:):)

A little late on this but I charge my DDM 5000 mah hump pack at 3.0 amps. I don't know about the discharge rate I have not done that yet.

r2

Hello Large Scale Members,

I have some questions that I need help with. I have a racers edge surecharge pro balance charger and I am very new to these chargers and battery's. I also have a ddm 5000 Ni-MH and Hobbico LiFe battery. They are new and have never been ran or chargered. First question is what set up on the charger should I use, Discharge and charger, or charge and discharge. I have plenty of time to do this I'm in no hurry. As for the 5000, I need to know what is the lowest amps and voltage to charge and discharge and the safest time limit on each of the different batteries. I don't want to blow up a 175 dollar charger, at least that what I paid for it in february, and 85 dollars worth of batteries. Thanks for any help.:):)

First of you spent toooo much for that battery. I only pay $20 for a 5 cell 5000 NIMH battery. Secondly you paid too much for that charger. I use a tekin 112c charge and it dose the job fine. I only paid $50. As for charging the batteries. C/10 is the standard rate of charge. That would be 500 mah for 14-16 hrs.

sure he paid more than you for the battery, but not all packs are created equal. ive had cheap nimh cells, ive had very expensive matched packs and the difference is clear, better performance and longer life. for radio batteries its not as big a deal, but good quality packs will last longer.

second, you bought a $50 nimh/nicd charger, something that will only charge the batteries of the past, and wont charge the LiFe pack he has. he bought a charger that will charge nicd, nimh, lipo, LiFe, li-ion, and lead acid batteries. this charger is worth 3 times what you paid for your charger, however its worth it. not only will it charge everything he already has, it will charge anything he may get in the future for r/c.

slow charging nimh batteries c/10 is fine for slow charge. thats the mah rating (5000) divided by 10, thats the ideal slow charge rate. for fast charging, well, id go as high as 1c, meaning 5 amps. in thew past i have charged my race packs at as high as 2c, however that was for maximum punch, however life would suffer. thats not something you really want to do with a receiver pack. with nicd and nimh cells i would recommend discharging the pack completely first, then charging it. if your going to store the pack, completely discharge it, then when bringing it out of storage charge it at about 1/2c (2.5 amps).

as for the LiFe i cant really comment much, no experience with them.

I like to on the first charge on a new battery to charge it at a low rate then discharge it and charge it again on a low rate before installing. The only time I do a fast charge is if I am at the track and need to charge them in a hurry.

sure he paid more than you for the battery, but not all packs are created equal. ive had cheap nimh cells, ive had very expensive matched packs and the difference is clear, better performance and longer life. for radio batteries its not as big a deal, but good quality packs will last longer.

second, you bought a $50 nimh/nicd charger, something that will only charge the batteries of the past, and wont charge the LiFe pack he has. he bought a charger that will charge nicd, nimh, lipo, LiFe, li-ion, and lead acid batteries. this charger is worth 3 times what you paid for your charger, however its worth it. not only will it charge everything he already has, it will charge anything he may get in the future for r/c.

slow charging nimh batteries c/10 is fine for slow charge. thats the mah rating (5000) divided by 10, thats the ideal slow charge rate. for fast charging, well, id go as high as 1c, meaning 5 amps. in thew past i have charged my race packs at as high as 2c, however that was for maximum punch, however life would suffer. thats not something you really want to do with a receiver pack. with nicd and nimh cells i would recommend discharging the pack completely first, then charging it. if your going to store the pack, completely discharge it, then when bringing it out of storage charge it at about 1/2c (2.5 amps).

as for the LiFe i cant really comment much, no experience with them.

First off I will never pay $85 for any battery but a 12 volt car battery I will never use Life or any type of lipo or ione battery.

Second; The charger I bough will charge 1-10 cells nicad, NIMH and wet cell are sealed batteries. It dose the job right the first time. I will never own any type of new lipo battery for rc use. The batteries I use have proven to be very good batteries. I have tried several brands and found that The price dosen't make quality. I will Use NIMH anny day over LIpo.

Last edited:
first, you need to re-read the fist post. the $85 in batteries is a ddm 5000mah nimh and a hobbico LiFe. the ddm is $45.00.

second, you came in here saying he paid too much for everything and comparing it to your equipment. there is nothing wrong with what you have, i never said that, however your tekin charger does not compare to what he has, and your charger will not charge the one battery he has. to charge that one LiFe battery he needs a more expensive charger. its his choice to use that type of battery, and his choice to buy that charger. nimh is just fine for most stuff, its what i use in my own nitro and gas r/c, however when i needed a new charger i went with one that could do everything, and its a good thing i did because i now have a crawler and a 450 heli with lipos.

im not sure why you felt the needed to force your opinion, tell this person he paid far too much, tell him what he has isnt needed and that you can do the same job for way less money. there is more than one way to skin a cat. your not going to make very many friends in the r/c world with the attitude your displaying here.

also this post is now over 9 months old, im sure he has figured out how to use his new equipment.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks