DDM Top End Pipe FHMT/FG

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csp1971

I have this pipe:

http://www.davesmotors.com/store/product1492.html

I noticed this evening that the where the pipe bolts to the engine, there is a slight bend. I can never ever keep the pipe tight for an entire tank. I just noticed this bend. Maybe this is the reason there is always oil underneath this area and all over my gas tank? (I originally posted in this thread https://www.largescaleforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1638 but didn't notice this)

Is this something I need to bend back down? Any suggestions as to how I should go about doing this?

Thanks.

pipe2.jpg

Last edited:
That's what I was thinking. The funny thing is, I don't know how this got bent. I don't tear the hell out of my trucks. I e-mailed DDM and asked them about it. I'll wait to hear from them before I attack it with a hammer! :)

Okay, DDM responded and said I could bend it back but since it risks a break, I should grind it down. Do you think a bench grinder would work okay? That's all I have.

Well, I bent it back very slowly and then used my bench grinder very carefully. I think it worked about as good as it will get. Great ideas on double gaskets and a flat file. I'm going to get a flat file this week at Home Depot to work it a bit more flat too.

Thanks for the responses guys! :)

Well, I bent it back very slowly and then used my bench grinder very carefully. I think it worked about as good as it will get. Great ideas on double gaskets and a flat file. I'm going to get a flat file this week at Home Depot to work it a bit more flat too.

Thanks for the responses guys! :)

If you have the choice, one of the finer files ones might be best to use to get it as smooth as possible. I know you've done the majority of grinding already but you might have success using the side of the grinding wheel since it has a larger surface area than the front.

Fabiano

sanding

If you have a small belt sander that might work too. Later apply a bit of good gasket compound to the one of the rougher surface . don't put too much and only one side so its possible to remove.
cheers

If it is as flat as you can get it with bending, then try using rough sandpaper and a sanding block, then use finer and finer paper till flat and smooth. Make sure you wash the pipe out with fuel or alcohol to clean as much of the shavings out of the pipe.
The bolt on the flat side must of come loose and allowed the pipe to push to the side slightly bending the other side. Doesn't take much with these heavy rigs, your just lucky its not a aluminum pipe or it would be worse.

Attachments

• 41JTX5VY2HL__AA280_.jpg
    41JTX5VY2HL__AA280_.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 8
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks