deans connectors on a brushless 1/5th scale?!?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James

50amp rated connector on a 200amp esc?

and then the clown wonders why his esc fails?

some people shouldn't be allowed near high current escs.

2afbepz.jpg

2meztxh.jpg

5jzgo5.jpg

sotohs.jpg

i use deans on a brushles sesc myself 200 amp continuos current 320 amp peak current and i have 0 issues whatsoever but my brushless is for 1/10 scale. the problem might have occurred due to batt being wired backwards ;)

i use deans on a brushles sesc myself 200 amp continuos current 320 amp peak current and i have 0 issues whatsoever but my brushless is for 1/10 scale. the problem might have occurred due to batt being wired backwards ;)

what esc, motor, and rc vehicle is this in?

ah.

that motor and esc won't pull anywhere near 200amps.

maybe 80 or so.

I'm talking about actual measured current.

i think ive seen those pics before, iirc it was a castle brushless converted baja.

deans plugs are some of the best out there. i cant say ive ever seen a rating on deans plugs, however i do know the savage flux comes with deans plugs and those things pull far more than 50 amps. the only thing ive ever read about deans plugs is they have less resistance than the same length of 12g wire, including the solder joint. granted im sure the big castle system is running 8g or 10g wire, however i cant see the deans plugs causing the failure.

what does castle recommend to use for connectors? honestly, i have no idea on what sort of r/c based connector would handle the current better than deans.

just because a manufacturer does it, it doesn't mean its ideal, a 50amp connector will handle twice that without getting too hot, but it means voltage drop.

deans aren't the best out there, back in 1990 or something when they first became available and all batteries were nimh, running brushed motors, they were fantastic! but now motors draw 2 or 3 times the current, and batteries will supply even more.

HPI put a CC 5700kv motor in their off road truck, and it quite happily overheats if used off road.

btw, the velineon motor is rated at 65amps constant, 100amps peak.

http://traxxas.com/sites/default/files/3351_3350X_manual_0.pdf

i believe the issue was from somethign other than the plug honestly. the only way i could see the plug failing is melting, only thing i have EVER seen cause a deans plug to melt was (soldering iron not withstanding :D )was a short caused by a reverse wired battery. improper gearing could cause teh esc and motor to heat up to the point of melting teh plug also but the motor and esc would be toasted before the plug anyway if this was the case, brushless systems are more sensative to overheating than a brushed set up but if the motor or esc gets hot enough to melt solder on internals then you have a short and a nuked esc/motor ;)

a lot of people killed their MMM escs by running undersized batteries.

running connectors that can't handle the current will have the same effect as undersized batteries, voltage drop.

the 1/5th scale esc has 8ga cable, you really can't even fit 8ga cable properly on deans connectors.

i agree 8g is a bit big for deans, the reality is deans plugs were never designed for that sort of current (i seem to remember running them when 2400nicd were the hot ticket).

however, whats the alternative? a quick search and i found some bullet style plugs rated for $50 for one male/female set, rated for 300amps.

EC5 connectors are great.

or else you can just run plain bullets, like what castle creations sell, rated at upto 300amps.

I started off with deans a few years ago, because everyone said they're "the best" but once you start researching them, you realise they really aren't.

yes, they have their place, they're ok if you don't know anything else.

they're a little tricky to solder, fairly difficult to unplug, and don't provide very good insulation in the event that the plug comes half unplugged.

I've fitted probably 50 or more of them to batteries, escs, and charge cables, as well as adapters.

but right now, I'm slowly changing all my gear to EC5s.

deans:
20358822.jpg

87042886.jpg

32482942.jpg

5.5mm bullets:
batteriest.jpg

still trying to find some pics of EC5s and EC5 to deans adapters I've soldered.

a lot of people killed their MMM escs by running undersized batteries.

running connectors that can't handle the current will have the same effect as undersized batteries, voltage drop.

the 1/5th scale esc has 8ga cable, you really can't even fit 8ga cable properly on deans connectors.

there you go, making the wires fit the deans was probably the actual cause of the failure beig that it may have shorted during running ;)

i agree 8g is a bit big for deans, the reality is deans plugs were never designed for that sort of current (i seem to remember running them when 2400nicd were the hot ticket).

however, whats the alternative? a quick search and i found some bullet style plugs rated for $50 for one male/female set, rated for 300amps.

i use deans on 2s and 3s lipos LOL

your 1:0 scale truck only draws about 65amps though.

EC5s

adapters.jpg

ec52.jpg

you may wish to do some reading on the whole esc amperage thing. i read an article somewhere and in it stated that teh amp ratings of esc's was way off base to wht they could actually handle. for example take that esc in the pic. for it to handle the type of current you claim the internal ciruit pathways as well as the battery and motor wires would need to be WAY thicker than teh 8GA. wire that is on it this in itself would cause the esc to fail. i for one NEVER look at teh amp rating of an esc, i look at motor limit, battery capacity limit and thats it if it will work with the motor and battery i wish to use then it works for me.

personally i would neer put a brushless in a baja, to me baja means gasoline, if i want an electric i have (6) rc that are electric from 1/36 to 1/10 (unless you classify monster trucks like teh txt-1 and bullhead as 18 ;) )

you may wish to do some reading on the whole esc amperage thing. i read an article somewhere and in it stated that teh amp ratings of esc's was way off base to wht they could actually handle. for example take that esc in the pic. for it to handle the type of current you claim the internal ciruit pathways as well as the battery and motor wires would need to be WAY thicker than teh 8GA. wire that is on it this in itself would cause the esc to fail. i for one NEVER look at teh amp rating of an esc, i look at motor limit, battery capacity limit and thats it if it will work with the motor and battery i wish to use then it works for me.

personally i would neer put a brushless in a baja, to me baja means gasoline, if i want an electric i have (6) rc that are electric from 1/36 to 1/10 (unless you classify monster trucks like teh txt-1 and bullhead as 18 ;) )

really?

because less than 48 hours ago you were claiming your velineon system pulled 200amps, which that esc will never handle, let alone the motor.

I don't have to do any reading? I've measured my brushless savage to draw 160+amps peak.

what are you even trying to say :/

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks