Decided to convert to off road (maybe)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a69baldone

Well I have my onroad with a cy stroker and walbro carb. Few mods but nothing major. I really don't want to sell it but living where I live Im considering converting to offroad.
First I would like to keep the alum rims I have so Im asking for some advice on some tires that will fit the rims for off road. I like the 5 b tires and something along that line is what I would like.
I also am pretty sure I will need some longer shocks. Not sure on what for them either. (mind you I been a nitro and crawler fan for years.)
I like the price of the Asgard st body and think with the rims and tires and some longer shocks I will have a start.
Mind you Im still waiting on a firehammer mt to arrive but would like to get some advise for this thing to morf into something I can run where Im at.
Any suggestions or anybody that has attempted such a feat feel free to give me advice. Here is the doner for the transformation.
000_0019-1.jpg
000_0001-8.jpg
000_0011-2.jpg
000_0012-2.jpg

Let me know what ya think for some tires on the alum rims under a Asgard body and what would be good for some longer shocks.

i thought about doing the same thing. the one thing is the long wheel base. its longer then most off-roads. you can try for fg or even duratrax shocks. the arms are almost the same so i think it will mount right up.. i think a 2 wheel drive rally car would be the tits.. fg off road tires with a suburu shell.. oh,oh sorry getting off track.. if i remeber correctly the asgourd shell will be too short. but rember you can run any fg tire..
like these.. pretty damn cheap too
http://www.fgsupply.com/New_Releases-Quick_Kicks.html
it looks like your going to have to buy complete shocks as well
you can use the springs you have wit these shocks. the other fg shocks don't have threaded body. and this is only (1) shock, but its complete, minus spring
http://www.fgsupply.com/Shocks-Alloy_shock_absorber_2000_long_1pce.html

Last edited:
been looking around and it seem that finding a 535mm truck body will be the hard part. not sure how off the asgourd is but it will be short. maybe some one will know couse that shell with fg baja wheels would look killer

Man I was getting whole sets of shocks for that price for one.
Maybe some losi lst or savage shocks. I will have to see.
And for the tires and rims I was wanting to keep my alum vendetta rims and maybe run some of these all the way around with the asgard body. I could not find the wheel base for the body so maybe someone will jump and and help out here.
These tires on my rims.

http://www.bigboystoysandhobbies.com/inc/sdetail/12683
body
http://www.fgsupply.com/Hot_Deals-Body_set_Asgard_ST_prepainted_sil_blu_w_decals.html

do a TT conversion on it.

look at the FG Stadiums truck and get those shocks, and tower ect if you need them.
you may need to limit shocks a bit so the don't over extend and get the arms up to high.

add the ST body and mounting setup.

For wheels, RAMTech RC and i think ADA make an FG to BAJA hub adapter so you can run the Baja 24mm Rims and hexes. but im not sure on what offroad tire *FG STYLE, will fit on your aluminum rims. i think the FG Onroad and Offroad Rims tires have different Diameters, so that may be a limiting factor.

To be 100% honest with you I would suggest you just sell the car and purchase an off-road of your choice. It will end up being better and cheaper in the end.

Thanks Tim for the helpful info.
One question is what do you mean by the TT?
Maybe its just too early in the morning... That all sounds good Im just going to have to do some studying on thisone. I was kind of wishing someone has allready done one and knows the pros and cons and all.

After using the search function I found out from another post on the board here that the wheel centers are 20" for the asgard body. Thats just what Im looking for. The wheel centers on my car are just a tad over 20"
Now to find out what tires will fit on my alum vendetta rims And some "cheap" so to say shocks.

on road rims are smaller than offroad rims. you'd need to buy a set of marder, baja etc rims... anything with fg squares.

the other thing to consider is the on road chassis is flat and the offroads have a kick up chassis, well except the leopard I guess.

you could raise that body I guess. most everything in parts between on and offroad are the same so you could get a new chassis, body and tires and have an actual buggy... oh ya, motor mounts too

Maybe some alum vendetta rims and tires and a newer painted body will be going up for sale.
Its just I have nowhere to run the car where I live, I do have a street but its nothing big enough to run it so I figured it would be a decent project,

The off-road tires will not fit directly ont he vendetta rims. You will not be able to use those rims. As for a body, the fg off-roads will be too short. YOu can probably get away the hpi 5t body or the proline 5t body.

Good luck but it will probably end up being cheaper to sell this car and get and off-roader. Not sure what abuse that on-road chassis can tak since it is longer than the off-roads, it may have a tendency to bend easier.

you could cheap out and grab some tmaxx type body mounts to go off the tower and raise the body and find a 1/8 truggy tire that would fit over your rubber and glue them on kinda like a retread and just have a rally car. might still have to trim the wheelwells but at least you could keep the rims.

I saw a guy on rc tech in the motorcycle section (only part of the forum I visit) do retreads for his ricky bike gluing 8th scale buggy tires on. just had to cut the edge off and basically shoe goo a cap on the outside... I can't see why it wouldn't work. The panther komodo dragons are very low profile. or you could toss something with an agressive pattern on.

ask one of your buddies with a truggy to donate an old busted tire. cut it off as you don't need the sides anyway. ... buggy tire might be too narrow but maybe not when flattened out.... another option would be the ofna. can't remember the model but they had a truck, svt? and it had a tire in between buggy and truggy size. that would be the least expensive conversion. a bigger lug would give more ground clearance. could even remove the dif riser in back and get the gear cover like the marders. toss a buggy front bulkhead set on too for a little clearance.

that's the part of this hobby I enjoy. making stuff that shouldn't be sometimes

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks