Demon RC - 2 Speed Updates

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DemonRC

It's been three months since the last official annoucement. We've been testing the almost finalized two speed. There are a few adjustments (yes another revision) that I would like to make before release. None of them are functionality revisions. The system is working great. They are minor cosmetic changes and we want to squeeze down the tolerance on the bearing holes to make them a little tighter and lighten up the pinion gears. That's about it.

Here are some pics of the MCD installation along with some notes that might answer some questions.

Pic #1: MCD Plate with clutchbell and center layshaft in. The finish on the gear plate is not final. We are still determining how far (blingy) we want to take it.

Pic #2: Rear of the MCD plate. We extended the center layshaft hub all the way to the engine's clutchbell carrier. This will extend the bearing life and keep the layshaft running straight and true. The back end of the layshaft has a large hub in the pic. This has already been revised to be much smaller in diameter and only 2mm thick.

Pic #3: Front of MCD plate with 2 speed installed. Here's the complete unit minues the clutchbell pinions.

Pic #4: Top pic showing the compact design. I forgot to install the side guard for the pic but it is well inside the side wall.

Attachments

• MCD Front Stripped.jpg
    MCD Front Stripped.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 69
  • MCD Back.jpg
    MCD Back.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 59
  • MCD Front.jpg
    MCD Front.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 66
  • MCD Top.jpg
    MCD Top.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 71
Here's an MCD gearing chart showing some of the stock gear ratios. I didn't get around to every A/B/C/D gear ratio so I just changed up the C/D gears in my spreadsheet.

You can then compare the MCD gearing to the 2 Speed gear chart ratios to get an idea of what gearing you would like to run.

MCD%20Gear%20Ratios.gif

Now, take a look at the 2 speed Gear ratio chart. Find the C/D gearing that best fits the high and low end you want.

2%20Speed%20Ratios.gif

Last edited:
Here's the system broken down.

I don't know if you can see it but the clutchbell and center layshaft are hexed. All the pinion gears, C gear, 2nd speed pawl, and 1st speed gear carrier are hexes also. Basically, you just slide everthing on and stick a E clip on the end. Real easy. You will use your stock layshaft for the D gear however. Our D gears have an 8mm bore with setscrews in the hub. Just slide that on your stock layshaft and setscrew it down.

Bearings will be included even though they are not pictured. Also not pictured is the pinion gear spacers.

attachment.php

Top-notch work! Can you share with us how much it'll cost?

Under $300 USD. Most likely in the $280 range. Don't quote me on that. We're still discussing how far we want to take the finishing. That alone will change the price +/- $20.

The MCD guy's are gonna be happy :D

I wonder how many MCD guys know about it. Nobody has really mentioned anything on the MCD forum. One-day I'll have to poke my head in there and post some pics. I just don't feel like dropping more cash for another "advertiser" account.

Ok, copy that. Kindly keep us posted on the release date. I'm itching to have it installed my my V4 buggy.

Last edited:
Finally got some video up today. We in the middle of one of the worst droughts in history and of course it had to start raining this weekend. Go figure. Anyways, here's my partner's MCD V4 RR running my TS 28.5 reed which I ported myself. The gearing we chose for this test run was based around the RR's stock gearing. It's got really good punch off the line and a little more topend. We have another set of gears we will be testing on the RR which will give it slightly more bottom end punch but a whole lot more topend. Also, we have 3 sets of gear ratios we will be testing in the Cheetah as soon as this rain breaks.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cp98I_PjsZ8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cp98I_PjsZ8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cp98I_PjsZ8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cp98I_PjsZ8[/ame]

Last edited:
Nice vid. I love the sound of the engine when the 2nd gear kicks in. Sweet. Kindly let us know when you'll have them ready for sale. I'm SOLD. :)

Here's where I intend to put your 2-speed system...:)

Attachments

• Image015.jpg
    Image015.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 23
  • Image016.jpg
    Image016.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 21
Nice video...I don't get tired saying it but hearing the 2nd gear kick in is a real blast! Sweet. Are you guys finished with the testing?

Hi!

This is great! I need this! :) C: 34 D: 22
When will we all be able to order?

We are waiting for one last part to come in this week that was revised and if it checks out we'll give the factory the OK to start production. It'll be ready 45-60 days after that.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks