Difficulty Installing CV Boots Over Transmission CV Cups

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malex

Hey All!

I'm trying to install new CV boots on my Losi DBXL-E and it's proving near impossible, lol. I got the new boots on the dog bones, no problem.

But whenever I try to slide the boot over the transmission cups, the boots just fold and contort and slide every which way except on! Picture attached of what I'm referring to.

I did actually managed to get the boots on some of the transmission cups on the front, but honestly not sure how. One went on easily, the other took 20 minutes of fighting with it before it finally just decided to go on.

The boots are all the same (except for two shorter ones that I successfully installed on the front wheels)

There's got to be a trick to this, any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance and Happy New Year to you all!

Cheers,

Malex

Attachments

• IMG_20191229_124245.jpg
    IMG_20191229_124245.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 20
Hey All!

I'm trying to install new CV boots on my Losi DBXL-E and it's proving near impossible, lol. I got the new boots on the dog bones, no problem.

But whenever I try to slide the boot over the transmission cups, the boots just fold and contort and slide every which way except on! Picture attached of what I'm referring to.

I did actually managed to get the boots on some of the transmission cups on the front, but honestly not sure how. One went on easily, the other took 20 minutes of fighting with it before it finally just decided to go on.

The boots are all the same (except for two shorter ones that I successfully installed on the front wheels)

There's got to be a trick to this, any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance and Happy New Year to you all!

Cheers,

Malex
Slide a small pick into the top slot in the outdrive, then latch the bottom of boot to get the bottom of the outdrive, then pull the top of the boot onto the top of the outdrive with the pick. When it's half way on der, take the pick out, then just push the boot the rest of the way

Slide a small pick into the top slot in the outdrive, then latch the bottom of boot to get the bottom of the outdrive, then pull the top of the boot onto the top of the outdrive with the pick. When it's half way on der, take the pick out, then just push the boot the rest of the way

Thanks Z.hb71, will give it a try!

Cheers,

Malex

Also if you have a situation where you need to stretch rubber over metal component use Armor All , the stuff is slick as bull snot. Another trick (and I do this a lot) is to pre-heat the rubber with a hair dryer. Soft rubber stretches WAY easier.

I bought the fast eddy boot tool. It works. Can't say anything else.

Same here, highly recommended. ?? Without that I surely would have shredded the boots trying to get them on the dog bones! Now just need a tool to get them on the cups just as easily.
I myself put them on the dogbone, then turn the end that goes over the cup inside out. Slide it to the cup, and flip it onto it. Works perfect every time and never rips a boot.
Interesting! Will give this a shot next time.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks