Digitizing the 5ive

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MonsterMaxx

Thought y'all would like to see the progress I made over the weekend. I decided to tear into it and in 2 days work got the rear end almost done.

Here's some renderings of the progress.
5iveRearDiff.jpg
5iveRearDiff2.jpg
5iveRearDiff3.jpg
5iveRearDiff4.jpg
5iveRearDiff5.jpg
5iveRearDiff6.jpg
5iveRearDiff7.jpg
5iveRearDiff8.jpg

5ive2.jpg
5ive1.jpg
5iveFrontDiff.jpg
5iveFrontDiff2.jpg
Next up is a hard part. The spindle carrier.
LOSB2073-250.jpg
What to reference that off of I have no idea yet. It'll be a tough one. But at least I got that darn diff housing done today, that thing was a beast.

5ive3.jpg
5ive4.jpg
5ive5.jpg
5ive7.jpg

I'm Robin Oury, owner of Unlimited Engineering. We make all the SuperMaxx stuff for the Maxx. Just for reference, here's a pic of my 1717 powered SuperMaxx. It has all the goodies like the High Voltage Lightning chassis, VBS, RacerX and more.
IMAG1307Medium.jpg
This is the 'done' pile.
IMAG1606Medium.jpg

These are still 'to do'
IMAG1604Medium.jpg
IMAG1607Medium.jpg

Oh look, a side we don't have to fix
IMAG1608Medium.jpg

That Maxx is amazing! Nothing Traxxas about it. ...Looking forward to your 5ive T progress, Robin. Thanks for sharing, it is a great truck even in stock form, your parts are going to make it bulletproof. I spy a MGM ESC in there?

Progress today.
5ive8.jpg
5ive9.jpg
Still have steering, shocks, chassis and the MGM to do.

Whew, lot of work. Be glad when this part is done and I can start having fun.

Great work and love the UE stuff.
I just get the feeling that the offset and angled driveshafts are, well, wrong!
Are you building in an imbalance into the vehicle that could have been avoided if all was straight and central?
This is my main misgiving with the 5ive-T - the angled dogbones which must be under serious stresses that could have been avoided with more intelligent designing.
Loving the development work and the digitising side.
Al.

Great work and love the UE stuff.
I just get the feeling that the offset and angled driveshafts are, well, wrong!
Are you building in an imbalance into the vehicle that could have been avoided if all was straight and central?
This is my main misgiving with the 5ive-T - the angled dogbones which must be under serious stresses that could have been avoided with more intelligent designing.
Loving the development work and the digitising side.
Al.

It is designed to put the GAS engine in the center, it is perfectly balanced in stock form. The outdrives last pretty well. I have over 20 hours of runtime on mine and the center diff. front output is just showing wear now. The electric conversions usually put the batteries and motor where the engine was, so they remain just as balanced after E-conversion, no difference really....The big news is UE will be possibly offering hub carriers and spindles in the near future!:D I haven't found many weak points on mine yet....

What's up with the hub carriers and spindles?

My truck (used) came with aluminum knuckles (hub carriers?) Also came with the stock plastic stuff.

The rear one isn't much heavier and offers different mounting positions, but the front Alu one is 40g heavier than stock and I can't see that it does anything for me.

Are people breaking these? Or is the spindle carrier (the sort of round part between the knuckle and the arm) what fails?

Do you have any broken parts you could take photos of and show me where it's breaking?

It is designed to put the GAS engine in the center, it is perfectly balanced in stock form. The outdrives last pretty well. I have over 20 hours of runtime on mine and the center diff. front output is just showing wear now. The electric conversions usually put the batteries and motor where the engine was, so they remain just as balanced after E-conversion, no difference really....The big news is UE will be possibly offering hub carriers and spindles in the near future!:D I haven't found many weak points on mine yet....

It's pretty obvious WHY they got the bad angles in the dog bones.
I'm just saying its fundamentally WRONG!
I'm glad the drive shafts, dog bones and hopefully bearings are holding out despite this. I was just wondering how it could be made avoiding this compromise.

On the Maxx digital design, I observed an offset input into the front (?) differential, which again would compromise even drive.

That's the point I was making.
Surely also, the engine to one side, and not in the middle will upset the balance on power cf a central layout?
Al.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks