Ditched the X-can for a J/P..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trip

As the title says. I swapped out the seX-Can for a stolen JetPro silenced pipe.

I have always hated the crappy seX-Can that came on my buggy when I bought it used...

I didn't really want to drop 150 bux not knowing if I would like the performance and handling with the added 2 pound pipe... So I swiped the J/P silenced pipe from my FG MT and tossed it on the buggy.

The buggy has a stock cy23, a Walbro 813 carb and everything else is basically stock.. Motor-wise that is...

The performance is MUCH improved over the seX-Can, the throttle response is much more precise and accurate. I can lightly touch the throttle trigger and even though it's just a touch of throttle, the motor now responds to those small inputs where the can never did. With the seX-Can it was full throttle or idle, there was no smooth transition with it, that was one of my biggest complaints. That and the fact that it was too loud for the weak amount of power it produced.

Now If i could just get rid of the snow so I could put some power to the ground!
Here is a sound comparison of the 2. If you wait until the end, there is a plug for the forum!

Now it's even harder to go in a straight line!

Last edited by a moderator:
I really had to hog the body to fit around this monster pipe!

Mardercarbtuning061.jpg

Mardercarbtuning062.jpg

Mardercarbtuning063.jpg

I had to cut out half the windshield. Even with that it wasn't enough for the body to sit correctly, so I just made some new mount holes.

It sure was a good feeling to cut that body up with my big ass tin snips! take that you ugly looking rollerskate!

I don't mind the x-can for the simple reason you don't have to hack half the shell away to make it fit. Will be sticking with mine for a while longer :D

True, but you have to remember, this JP was for my MT. It wasn't made to fit this vehicle. The Marder pipe doesn't require nearly as much cutting. I didn't really care because I was going to just toss this shell in the "bin" anyhow.

The performance is so much better than the X-can, plus it sounds like a 2 stroke, not a lean running 4 stroke with a smooth idle cam..

I am going to leave this pipe on here until I get a new "Marder" pipe that fits correctly.

I'm not ragging on the X-Can, if you like it, Great. I am just stating that it offers no performance over the stock can and nothing compared to a good pipe.

Is the x-can supposed to give any performance increase? Wondering out of curiosity what differs them from the stock box that comes with the FGs etc?
Just don't see what could ever cause an actual noticeable increase in performance from the x-can design. Looks just like a box to me ? :S

Last edited:
Many people swear by them and I was trying to explain that they really don't offer any performance gains over the stock can. The outlets are much larger than the stock can so in theory the x-can should have an advantage over the stock muffler. However I don't believe it does, in fact I think it may actually hinder top rpm.

Either way, the x can can't hold a candle to a good pipe like the JetPro.

The whole reason for the side by side was to answer about 100 pm's I get per week asking me about the x can and it's performance, or lack thereof.

I noticed an increase in bottom to mid range over the stock can (on a Zen 26) but as you say its not a tuned pipe. I run it with the baffle plates removed if that makes any difference?? To me it also sounds better than the stock can. It works well enough for what I need so I am happy. There arent too many good reports about them tho.

Maybe the TGN guy on here could offer up technical input and expected gains???

You will get an increase from stock by removing the can all together. It the size and direct exhaust that gives a slight performance boost from a stock can. Not sure 100% but I would think you would get the same performance by adding a Baja5T can from the smaller stock also.

yup, I have one of those larger cans came with the cen and it was better than stock. never had a sex can. I couldn't see paying that much for a metal box when a little more money buys a real pipe

it's not so bad. you cut the back portion out and a little U on the side and it's fine. then you can get the body off without removing the wing and pipe too

newmardermonster2.jpg

yup, I have one of those larger cans came with the cen and it was better than stock. never had a sex can. I couldn't see paying that much for a metal box when a little more money buys a real pipe

I bought mine off voo for £25 so was worth a shot at that price. What pipe is that on your marder bud?

that's a JetPro Dwarfy... That is the correct Marder pipe... It really does fit very well. Less cutting than the FG, Samba and way less than the Damn DDM pipe!

Like I said, the pipe I put on was for my MT, that's why it doesn't fit...

marderjetpro.jpg
05041800114nr.jpg
05041800072br.jpg

Here is a body cut for the Samba.
CEZMgCGkKGrHqJkwE1K9r-Pn4BNTt3WEZCg_3.jpg

And for the FG Pipe.
Marder_Karosserie_8.jpg

I was gonna go with an FG pipe, until I realized how little needed to be removed to fit the JP... With the performance of JP, why the hell would I go with an FG pipe? Less performance, bigger hole to cut in the body and more expensive!

There will be a JP silenced Marder pipe on my buggy by summer.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks