diy ring mod for clone super star wheels

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eyeopenher

ok, first off let me say i don't know if this is the right section for this, so if it is not could someone please advise me of where it should go, or could they move it... thank you in advance...

i noticed that my hpi wheels had a metal hex. and i seen on a post on here awhile back from BIGGER THE BETTER about putting a metal ring around his son's km wheels... well, i have the hpi wheels on as of right now. but i have a set of km sand tires mounted on km 5 star rims... i also have a set of rovan 5 star rims wit no tires on them. both of these have no metal hex nor a metal ring around the center hub. so i decided to diy way was the way i was going... now for all of you who are asking if the km/rovan rims are this bad, the answer is no. but like all diy mods, its for a little piece of mind wit little money out of the pocket... so here is what i did....

first off i found that 1 1/4" electrical conduit fit the center hub of the km wheels perfect. next i found that an 1 1/4" electrical conduit coupler fit the rovan center hubs on the rims... so i had an 1 1/4" elbow sitting around the house, bought the coupler for like $5 from home depot and went home to start my project.
first step. got a glass of wine... then i used a sawzaw which probably was not the best choice but i don't have a machine shop at my house. i cut the pipe and the coupler into 1/8" to 1/4" rings. i only did the different sizes for options... plus i had enough from what you can see in the pictures...
IMG_20111101_125710.gif

next i got out the trusty dremel (pep boys brand... i know, i know.. lol. it was like $19. i have been using it for 4 years and have not one complaint. so i guess it was a good buy) anyways, i used a grinder bit and got rid of all the burs and metal splinters... did all sides and edges and made them all nice and clean... my cuts were pretty good considering i did it wit a sawzaw... my electrician years came back to me... lol
IMG_20111101_151942.gif

next i sanded the hubs a little to give the plastic a lil tooth to hold the epoxy better. rings were already sanded wit the (CLONE) dremel... lol... sorry. i had to... i own a rovan.... like the new license plate?
IMG_20111102_200258.gif
:lol::w00t:

next i epoxy'd the center hubs and the metal rings and put them together. some are a lil tighter then others so the ones which were tight i used a piece of wood and a hammer and tapped it down. after the ring is set i would put a lil epoxy around the edges... you have to work fast. there is like a 5 minute set time on the epoxy... hurry hurry hurry.....
IMG_20111102_224957.gif

this is the finished product... they came out pretty good... so for $5 i got an extra piece of mind... here is a picture close up... don't mind the extra epoxy. it dried so quick i let it be... lol
IMG_20111102_231651.gif

this is one of the front rims. i used the thinner 1/8" ring cause i figure i would not have so much stress on the hex like you would from the rear wheels... i used the 1/4" rings on the rear...

well, there you have it... i hope someone somewhere finds this info informative and can use it for their own rig... i would also like to thank BIGGER THE BETTER for the idea in the first place...

good job m8, they look a bigger gauge than the stockers :) now add this to the how to sections so other member can do this mod aswell

Troy

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks