Donations Needed- Niece Dies Texting While Driving

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

427HISS

Hello everyone.

We need your help. Please donate to our cause, and save lives.

Three months ago, my niece was killed, when she was texting while driving her car. To those who don't believe that texting while driving is not a issue or dangerous, my niece proves that it can & will happen.

I hope this is a lesson to all her young friends and college mates that texting while driving is too much of a distraction. The problem is our young people are so resilient we're concerned that in a few short months they will go right back to texting. So we need to campaign our cause as much as we can.

We started a non-profit organization named, Racers Against Texting While Driving. Our federal I.D number is below, along with other contact information and PayPal Donation account.

We raced 360 winged sprint for 12 years, but have since retired. We're asking for new, or very good condition sprint car parts and money donations, to build a special 2 seat & street legal sprint car to campaign with for our cause. Some sprint car manufactures have donated a lot of parts and several racing teams, but we need money donations to buy a lot of miscellaneous parts, printing for letterheads, flyer's, pamphlets, bumper stickers ect., operational costs, campaigning funds ect. It's going to be more than we thought. (like everything else)

We realize the economy is tough right now, but please,..... give what you can, as this is a much needed cause. Here in the state of Nebraska, the law came into effect in July, but there are NO campaigns to address this deadly issue.

Our goal is to bring together both parents and teen drivers to educate and teach them about the essential need for non-distracted driving and how this one change in behavior can make a difference in reducing the incidence of fatal crashes for drivers aged 15-19. Loosing a child to something so preventable is a terrible and senseless thing to endure.

In searching for a way to make her death more than just a statistic we've decided to do anything we can to make a difference. We have built a single seat street legal winged sprint car for a customer in South Dakota.

The project now is to build a two-seat sprint that we can use as a "tool"to educate everyone about the dangers of texting while driving. Apx. 85% of the car will use off the shelf parts of the dirt racing sprints We are planning on attending Eagle Raceway & other tracks, car shows and related type advents. The Nebraska State Patrol is excited that we'll be joining them in several " Promote Safety" events next year beside their "Roll Over Simulator".

If you happen to know of any individuals or company's that would generously give to our charity, please let me know, or they may call me anytime. We have the website below, but it needs a lot of work to get it to the point we need, so we're contacting a professional. If there's anyone that can help, please contact us.

http://www.racersaga...iledriving.Com/

We've also just started our email address below and PayPal account.
Checks are also accepted.

PayPal account address & email.
[email protected]

I spoke with the editor Rob Fisher of "Circle Track magazine"and the two seat build and the story of Alley texting while driving will be featured article. I have pasted our email conversation below and will be talking details this week. Rob said he'll include all sponsors.

This is very exciting for building the sprint and the campaign against texting and driving ! Being a racer how much better can it get for all of this to be in such a great world wide publication magazine to aid in getting weariness about this deadly and addictive problem in our country.

As you may know, this magazine is the best there is for all circle track racing
Here's the link and the email is below.
http://www.circletrack.com/index.html

Please read over some texting facts that are at the bottom.

I've also attached a few photo's at the bottom.

Thank you for your time and we hope that many of you can help support us with your donations, for this very important campaign and unique way of drawing attention to this cause.

Sincerely,
Kevin & Patty Gilmore
550 David lane
Eagle Ne. 68347

402-781-2322 (anytime, central time)
President-
Racers Against Texting While Driving.

(Non-profit organization I.D #27-3701662)
--------------------------------------------
Incorporators-
The name and address of the incorporators are as follows:

Board of Directors-

President-
Kevin Gilmore
550 David Lane, Eagle, NE 68347
402-781-2322

Vice President-
Mathew Wilson
5613 Falcon Circle, Lincoln, NE 68516

Chief Brand Officer-
Nicole Battele
529 west 62nd street, Lincoln, Ne. 68505

Chief Technical Officer-
ADAM Wackel
658 Heather Circle Crete Ne. 68333
Racers Against Texting While Driving.

RATWD Website-
http://www.racersaga...iledriving.Com/

email address & PayPal Donation account-
[email protected]

--------------------
MAGAZINE EDITOR EMAIL START-

Date: 12/16/2009 9:41:32 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Circle Track inquiry

Hi Kevin I am interested in your two-seater sprint car build. Could be a really fun article.
Feel free to contact me at any of the numbers below and we can discuss in more detail.

Thanks,Rob
Rob Fisher
Editor
Circle Track Magazine
9036 Brittany Way
Tampa FL 33619
813-675-3525:O
813-277-4848:c
813-675-3556:f
[email protected]
http://www.circletrack.com
Circle Track Magazine - The #1 Source for Advanced Racing Technology
--------------------------------------------------------------------------NOTE- Some facts.

For every 6 seconds of drive time, a driver sending or receiving a text message spends 4.6 of those seconds with their eyes off the road. This makes texting the most distracting of all cell phone related tasks. In 2008 almost 6,000 people were killed and a half-million were injured in crashes related to driver distraction.

A 2009 experiment with Car and Driver magazine, editor Eddie Alterman showed that texting while driving had a greater impact on safety than driving drunk. While legally drunk, Alterman's stopping distance from 70 mph increased by 4 feet; by contrast, reading an e-mail added 36 feet, and sending a text added 70 feet. While celebrities such as Oprah Winfrey have campaigned against texting while driving, there are reports that the message hasn't been getting through to teenagers.

The brevity of these messages is what I think is important. Just being distracted for a moment to read a two or three word text can bring about the end of your life or maim you severely.Over 3.7 text messages are sent every second but it only takes one to kill you or someone else.

Distracted driving killing nearly 6,000 Americans in the same year, it's no mystery that cell phone use is risky for drivers.

According to Distraction.gov, the Department of Transportations website, distracted driving can be attributed to the deaths of over 5,000 people and injuries to over 500,000 in 2009.

ABC- Good Morning America reported that teens on average send & receive 3,300 text massages per month. Drivers Simply can't Do Two Things At Once
Drivers who use hand-held devices while driving are four times as likely to get into crashes serious enough to injure themselves or others.
The proportion of drivers reportedly distracted at the time of the fatal crashes has increased from 8 percent in 2004 to 11 percent in 2008.
One of the most commonly recognized distractions is cell phone use. Cell phone subscriptions have grown exponentially from 1988 through 2009. About 89 percent, or approximately 277 million of all Americans, have a cell phone, according to CTIA The Wireless Association. For many, it is the only kind of telephone they possess. In
A recent NHTSA survey, most individuals (77 percent) reported that they talk on the phone while driving at least some of the time

Its Time to "Put It Down"

When drivers engage in distracted driving behaviors, they are not only a danger to themselves, but to everyone else on the road around them.

Drivers Simply Cant Do Two Things At Once.

According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, drivers who use hand-held devices while driving are four times as likely to get into crashes serious enough to injure themselves or others.

Deadly Behavior.

In 2008 alone, nearly 6,000 people died and more than half-a-million injuries occurred simply because people were not paying attention to the road. Peoples conversations can wait. The chances of causing a crash that could ruin lives is just too great

According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, drivers who use hand-held devices while driving are four times as likely to get into crashes serious enough to injure themselves or others.

Deadly Behavior.

Young drivers are at risk of distracted drivingespecially men and women under 20 years of age. Their lack of driving experience can contribute to critical misjudgments if they become distracted. Not surprisingly, they text more than any other age group and the numbers of young drivers who text are only increasing.

Attachments

• text-bumper2-stickerproof.jpg
    text-bumper2-stickerproof.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 2-seat-sprint-car (small size).jpg
    2-seat-sprint-car (small size).jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 8
  • CAD drawing (small size pic).jpg
    CAD drawing (small size pic).jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 8
  • Alley feeding a deer..jpg
    Alley feeding a deer..jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 8
sorry for your loss, and its great that you are standing up and doing something that may help prevent future deaths.

recently were i live they brought in a province wide ban on handheld electronics while driving. hands free cell use is permitted, (except for people under the graduated licencing program, minimum age to get out of it is 19), however you cant dial the phone, also texting is illegal, so is playing with a gps unit while driving, and any other electronics (as an automotive tech the handheld scan tool needed for diagnostics is also illegal). sadly enough the penalties are not harsh enough, enforcement started strong but has tapered off, and nobody seems to care that much. studies have shown that accidents from texting while driving have gone up, and i can see why. now people hide their phone as they text, concentrating on texting and trying to hide what they are doing. imo, the penalty should be far more severe, the same as drinking and driving.

Sorry for your loss, I hope you campaign does some good.

In the UK it is illegal to use any non permanently-installed electronics device (i.e. phone, GPS, MP3 player etc) when driving. The police are relatively good at enforcing this when they see it, but so far it has had very little impact on the general public.

Sorry to hear of your loss and hope you can do something constructive to prevent the loss of even just 1 more life.
don't take this personally but I will be honest here on your campaign. I just cant see how building a super expensive street legal race car (which is what it is) that will push out probably +500bhp will help promote not texting whilst driving.
I just don't get it :rolleyes: This thing will cost probably circa $50k to build and I just cant help thinking that the money would be better spent on shocking ad campaigns that could be aired on TV and hit the hearts of millions. Then there are visits to schools with the assistance of the police and maybe a wrecked car to show what could happen and explain the effects on those left behind to pick up the pieces. This would be far more effective in hitting the target audience and getting the message across. Building a street legal race car just makes me think that you want to re-live your race days under the smoke of the campaign. Sorry if that sounds harsh but I am probably not the only 1 that wont be donating to build your race car and like I say its not personal by any means.
Good luck with it all and I sincerely hope you can achieve something good out of it.

Guilty as charged - I've done that in the past, perhaps 10 years ago in the jams at Spaghetti Junction (Birmingham, UK, M6) when travelling South with a friend in another car.
Considered it way too hazardous, but didn't stop me doing it.

I got away with it, in stop / start 0-30mph traffic, but considered myself sufficiently, in all honesty stupid in re-evaluation and haven't considered it since.

Some things are temporarily addictive and the outcome can be nothing, or as in this case tragic, for which as I previously stated, I offer my sincere and heartfelt condolences.

Al.

"but considered myself sufficiently, in all honesty stupid in re-evaluation and haven't considered it since".

That's kind of funny. Thank you for stopping that action, as I'm sure you have many that love you !

I've never been a beggar, as I feel it's demeaning for me, but if you guys can find it in your hearts, we really need as little as $50.00 each, to help aid our campaign. It's very expensive.

It will be very much appreciated. ;)

I also want to thank the moderator, for letting us post this thread. :D
There's too many spammers out there, as like on Craigs List. :mad:

Thank you,
RATWD

As I said in my previous post and you agree, its very expensive to build your toy and I still think the money would be better spent.
You want "as little as $50 each"!!!! You have got a hard faced cheek as a genuine charity would accept any donation no mater how small. If you hadn't noticed mate there is a global recession and Christmas is fast approaching for those who celebrate it so times are hard. Maybe you should post this in Forbes or millionaires weekly??

Sorry mate, I am all for 'genuine charities' for genuine causes but yours doesn't seem to fall into this class.

I apologize I offended you mate & thanks for your kind understanding. You are just plain cruel. Please don't post again.

Hiss, I understand your plight and I'm sorry for your loss but being honest mate you can't ask someone to stop posting if you are using a forum to highlight what you want to do. Again being honest I happen to agree with Dwarfy and you have to realise that you are not always going to get total agreement. Remember this is a forum for people with an interest in toy cars.

You have a total of 6 posts on this forum, for all we know you could be running a scam.

Just for your info. On the HPI Baja Forum a guy moderating the forum called MONSTERMAN is/was quite ill but he had over 13,000 posts or something like that and some guys asked for donations to help buy him a 5T, many from the UK including me sent a donation for that. He called me personally to thank me.

Last edited:
Yes I can ask. I'm asking members support,... to help with stopping such a deadly action while you drive, with other drivers sharing the road, not criticism. The few of you, are the only board members that anyone, on any of the sites I'm a member of, that has put me down for the way we're using the sprint as a tool, and,... asking for donations.

I'm trying to do a good thing here with our non-profit organisation, and all you can do is get all over my back ! You should be ashamed of yourselves. I don't care,.... if the ways I'm promoting safety and asking for help, is the right way for you !

So, can I tell you how to run your life and the things you do ?, no,...it's none of my damn business. You should be the same.

I DID NOT ASK YOU FOR YOUR OPINION,... ON HOW WE SHOULD CAMPAIGN, JUST YOUR SUPPORT. I WOULD NOT DO THIS TO YOU.

Seriously,...think about it, how would you feel if the roles were reversed ???

1- I would never slam you or treat you, the way you are doing to me.
2- I would never tell you how to run your campaign, no matter if I disagreed. Like I said, it's none of my business unless you're hurting someone.

If you don't want to support us by the way we're campaigning, then don't say anything at all. This is NOT,.... a debate.

I want to thank the 6 members that have opened their hearts and sent your donations. You're good people. :)

Last edited:
:rolleyes: lol,.... I posted my full name, street address, phone number, website, email and our Federal I.D number, what more do you want, as there's nothing else to give you ?
Good Lord man. lol

(by the way, I HATE spammers. I quit getting on Craigs List, because of those idiots)

Thank you for helping out that man. If you donate to me, I'll call and thank you too. ;) I'm patting you on your back now. I hope you feel better, it's a great feeling to help others. :D

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks