Duratrax and Customer Service

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csp1971

Last night, while running my Firehammer MT on it's 3rd tank in my backyard, I ran into the fence. Well the servo saver didn't save a thing, the metal spline with horn snapped off.

So I looked around the net for about an hour and couldn't find any information on a Duratrax SX400MG servo. I called Tower Hobbies and asked them if they had any gears. They didn't but told me to contact Hobby Services and they should send me a new servo. I sent them an e-mail last night at around 8pm.

Less than 12 hours later, I have a response that they are sending me a new servo!

That is excellent service. I would not have expected a response for at least several days.

Since I cannot locate that servo anywhere online (Google and Yahoo searches included), I can only assume it was garbage and that they have since replaced it with a better servo.

Either way, I'm pleased. I almost ordered a new Hitec servo last night but refrained until I knew what would happen with my broken servo.

Oh well, a week of no Firehammer MT. :no: Guess I'll run my nitro a few more days before I sell it.

My Firehammer buggy came with a Futaba 1/4 scale servo. It was about $50 at Tower Hobbies. Specs says it had 165 oz-in of torque. I wanted something with more umph so I got the Hitec 805BB for $40 and it is 303 oz-in of torque. You can definitely see the difference.

Maybe the MT is using a different servo than older buggies.

I've been thinking about the 805BB as a backup. No problems with it? I know all the gears are nylon but the price is right on it and the torque is awesome, that's for certain.

It's weird how on the Duratrax site they show a Duratrax radio with the MT and then they change it to a FM Futaba Jr. radio (to me a Futaba radio over a Duratrax radio is a strong selling point, even if they are the same radio with a different label). It's apparent that they don't update their web site often enough. Their site as a whole is pretty bad, as are many other major mfg's sites. Good web programmers are easy to come by, especially good ones, I'm just surprised they don't contract a few good ones out. Maybe they do. I'm more likely to shop from a site with a nice layout and presentation, although, there are still instances where the service can suck. Team Losi's site is probably one of the worst for presentation IMHO.

Also, not a single hobby shop in this area has a 1/4 scale servo. Not one.

the 805BB worked Great right up until it decapitated itself. this was on my baja.
wish someone made a metal main gear for it, the servo is strong, and pretty quick, but the polycarbonite gears are lacking imo.

i know alot have used it without issue, and the decapitating appears to be a baja only releated issue with this servo inperticular.

The 805BB has been praised by a lot of FG guys on the forum. It has also held up well on my Firehammer.

Maybe the Baja transmits more impacts to the servo.

The Multiplex Rhino digi 4 is a strong servo but it will set you back over $100.

if u want to save a little cash pick up the hobbico cs-80 its the same as the 805 but cheaper. i run both the 805 and the cs80 with zero problems

Okay, I cannot for the life of me determine which Futaba/Hobbico servo is similar to this. No spare gears at Tower and the invoice I received from Hobby Services doesn't have any special number. Same Duratrax SX400MG. I guess I'll have to shoot them an e-mail to find out if gears will be available.

All metal gears though and dual bearing. The one pictured is the old one with the broken spline.

gears1.gif

same exact servo i have. That is a Futaba servo but i don't know which one. I had trouble with mine too, the center top get which is brass/steel splined together why on earth would they not make the gear all steel or all brass. anyway the steel center spun in the brass outer ring, i had to drill a hole between the two clip a section of body pin to fit in the hole and solder it in there then grind it all flush to fit back in the servo case. i nailed the ditch with only 1 front tire and folded the servo saver all the way and it didnt give up. So yeah its strong.

I think I'm going to order a backup in a couple weeks. HItec i guess. I was hoping to open the old one and see some print that said "Futaba #XXXX". No such luck! LOL!

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXBEK6&P=7
Try this.
What they are replacing mine with is an S5050

Okay, I cannot for the life of me determine which Futaba/Hobbico servo is similar to this. No spare gears at Tower and the invoice I received from Hobby Services doesn't have any special number. Same Duratrax SX400MG. I guess I'll have to shoot them an e-mail to find out if gears will be available.

All metal gears though and dual bearing. The one pictured is the old one with the broken spline.

gears1.gif

Good deal. They didn't have those the last time I was out there. Good to know I can purchase these and have a brand new servo practically!

I guess we all have the same problem with the servo I went with a Hitec BB karbonte gears it is a little slow but work great and the price is right about 45$ but I am still a little worried about the tries that I am going too run the swamp kong tires they are 8 1/2 tall x 4" wide I am still making the axil extenders and spacer for it I hope too have it done by the first of the year if work would just live me alone!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, work tends to get in the way of most things for me. I spend more time with those yahoos there then I get to with my own family. :(

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks