Elcon Drivetrain Fg

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dc2 man

Reading the Rules!
ok lots of people have been suggesting the elcon drivetrain unit for my beetle fg,it certainly looks great,strong set up too,but its well expensive though,i was on a shop there in germany (hobbytek) and there prices are great now in fairness but this unit between lower wishbone arms and diff mounts whole lot in is coming to a staggering 360euro...

is it worth that kind of money lads
is it good like?

ok jasrx i will tell you that i am going through hell sinse i first got the car two years ago,iv had ones prior to this one but this is my first fg beetle,i don't like the drivetrain system,it breaks my heart,firstly i had numrous problems with that little pinion on layshaft slipping,regardless of amount of red threadlock and tightning it always came loose,pain in the ass and a lot of ripping,so i sorted that and got it welded. now i cannot get the layshaft to line up correctly and don't know why i have checked everything i think it could be something small like spacers on gearplate or steel engine mount joiners.(and i even replaced layshaft just in case again and engine mount)

after rebuilding the car with all the alloy its pretty tough though,that said any rough groung like jumps and soft sand can and will damage parts.

all part of the fun.

Last edited:
Is the engine mount alloy? If not then you need to get the alloy mount both of them.
The ELCON is a superior system than the standard. But expensive. If the dog bones are not braking constantly then just stick with them.

yes i have the standard design but all alloy,i have the engine mounts alloy,i was just thinking would the elcon be a etter system or much the same?

I've been wanting to buy an FG Monster Beetle for a while now,but after reading through some of the posts on these forums,
i'm now feeling somewhat hesitant.Do they have major reliability issues?Sorry for hijacking your thread.

Frank

I've been wanting to buy an FG Monster Beetle for a while now,but after reading through some of the posts on these forums,
i'm now feeling somewhat hesitant.Do they have major reliability issues?Sorry for hijacking your thread.

Frank

you know what i think once you fix the engine mounts and if new change the diff to alloy and upper rear arms and throw a steel gear set on it they are a great machine but even still those mods are a few hun .. i had to keep going just because i wanted to get a 100% alloy machine .. lol

ah yes of corse thats right,i wanted mine all alloy too i think everybody does really but i was just saying that when new to these models at the start it requires a lot of learning on how to fix and parts were breaking at a rapid pace, i suppose all the part of the fun.
im worse than an old woman for complaining lol

Frank

buy one,u wont be dissapointed,u need to upgrade a few parts after a while,in fact if i were u when u buy the beetle(awsume car) prob the best i think,(best looking anyway) upgrade the following to alloy straight away,differntial case to alloy,spur gear steel as opposed to plastic,engine mounts x 2 alloy,now after a few months and lot of driving u should replace your rear lower and upper wishbones to alloy too,either way the fg beetle is a great machine and u will enjoy every minute with it and all the replacing parts and upgrading will give you the learning curve u need to turn u in to a beetle pro lol lol lol haha P.S THE threads u were reading that may have turned u off was just us discussing the standard fg beetles relibality with plastic parts,when u upgrade to alloy the parts are for life,trouble free,only replacing u need to do after that is bearings...and that would even have to be seldom done.

Last edited:
buy one,u wont be dissapointed,u need to upgrade a few parts after a while,in fact if i were u when u buy the beetle(awsume car) prob the best i think,(best looking anyway) upgrade the following to alloy straight away,differntial case to alloy,spur gear steel as opposed to plastic,engine mounts x 2 alloy,now after a few months and lot of driving u should replace your rear lower and upper wishbones to alloy too,either way the fg beetle is a great machine and u will enjoy every minute with it and all the replacing parts and upgrading will give you the learning curve u need to turn u in to a beetle pro lol lol lol haha P.S THE threads u were reading that may have turned u off was just us discussing the standard fg beetles relibality with plastic parts,when u upgrade to alloy the parts are for life,trouble free,only replacing u need to do after that is bearings...and that would even have to be seldom done.

Your comment below doesn't exactly exude any type of confidence in your FG.Anyone got any Idea how much it would cost to make a Monster Beetle reliable?

Frank

mmm wish i could get a few trouble free hours of run time
i never did!!!

Your comment below doesn't exactly exude any type of confidence in your FG.Anyone got any Idea how much it would cost to make a Monster Beetle reliable?

Frank

bank on a few hundred IMO !!
large and small mounts = 100
alloy diff cage and diff supports =200
upper rear arms =50
spur gear carrier and metal gear -65
and the rest up pretty much can upgrade or repair after it breaks
o0o ya i'd sugggest front brakes as well then alloy tray because plastic flexes like crazy ..
those prices are guesses so im sure there might be a plus and minus ..

bank on a few hundred IMO !!
large and small mounts = 100
alloy diff cage and diff supports =200
upper rear arms =50
spur gear carrier and metal gear -65
and the rest up pretty much can upgrade or repair after it breaks
o0o ya i'd sugggest front brakes as well then alloy tray because plastic flexes like crazy ..
those prices are guesses so im sure there might be a plus and minus ..

Maybe I'll take my time and scan Kijiji and Craigslist and see if a good used one comes available.Who knows,maybe I can find something thats allready upgraded.

Frank

Maybe I'll take my time and scan Kijiji and Craigslist and see if a good used one comes available.Who knows,maybe I can find something thats allready upgraded.

Frank

i understand why you would quote on that,i suppose when u read it u think the worst,this was just my experience with the fg from standard,everybodys experience is different,i meant IN STANDARD FORM CAR WAS UNRELIABLE BUT WITH THE ALLOY UPGRADES ITS GREAT!! and now that i have made the few changes and upgrades i am 100percent happy with the fg. that thread was mainly explaining about the car in standard form out of the box,as there was so many first timers asking questions such as yours i decided to start up that topic about fg in standard form,(not saying u are a first timer to large scale,maybe u are to fg)i have 100percent confidence now in my car because it is pretty much a competition model,all cars are differnt out of the box,depending on the driver the terrain its been run on etc etc. YES my beetle out of the box in standard form did give me a lot of grief but that doesn't mean that if you buy one that its going to be the same way,all depends on how u mind it, COMMON SENSE..
best of luck with one if u do buy it,but if its your first time running an fg it will be a pain for a while when parts break(cause u will have to repair it with out experience or knowlage) but this is part of the fun and u will enjoy every minute of it..

The Elcon gear train is far superior the the stock setup. It is a once peice gearplate from engine through to diff so it solves the problem of the gears separating when the chassis flexes. It isnt cheap but if you get the chance to see one on a car you will see how well thought out it is.
Also if you buy Elcon parts from Australia now the exchange rate is very favourable and also tax free for export so take 10% off the listed price before plugging the numbers into xe.com
http://powerslideracing.com.au/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=10_11

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks