Electric Conversion kits?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

breetie

So, I was looking around for parts for my FG on-road, and I saw this on FG Supply's site:

http://www.fgsupply.com/4WD_Options...t_for_2WD_and_4WD_FG_models.html#!prettyPhoto

Does anyone have any experience with the electric conversions, or for that matter the electric versions of the on-road car from FG? Is it better than sticking with the petrol 2-stroke?

I don't even know if it will fit my older FG, but it seems to be more compact, and a lower center of gravity using the electrics. However, it's not a cheap change-over, so do any of you guys drive one? Thoughts? How is your runtime, speed, and overall handling? Maintenance looks like it may be a tad easier, not as messy as the petrol versions, but...thoughts?

I asked a similar question and for a resource explaining what all the numbers meant when talking electric power. this is a link from the response. Really just another conversion kit but its another option.

http://www.castlecreations.com/produ...rsion-kit.html

I'm still waiting on responses to determine run times etc. but someone elsewhere has suggested the lighter weight of the electric car makes getting the equal or better power down an issue.

I want to do it to one of my tourers as its quieter and wont attract the wrong sort of attention where I use it.

Cheers

JP

--I'm still waiting on responses to determine run times etc. but someone elsewhere has suggested the lighter weight of the electric car makes getting the equal or better power down an issue.

I want to do it to one of my tourers as its quieter and wont attract the wrong sort of attention where I use it.

Hmmm, seems like they'd want to give you approximate runtime and maintenance pain-points on the site. Runtime and cost are the most important issues for me. Kit is roughly $200, the motor, ESC and LiPos are another $400-$500...not a cheap conversion, from what I can see.

I thought I had seen someone build one of these on the forum, here...I can't remember where it was, though. I thought it was here...but maybe not. It looked like he'd done a fair amount of fab work himself, to offset some of the cost of the conversion.

Anyway...thanks for the link, I'd seen that a while back but couldn't recall the name of the company. It certainly looks decent, quality seems top-notch. If I go this route, I'll likely get the Castle kit.

Hi Breetie, the FG conversion is the best on the market at the moment unless you want to make your own. The Castle creations hardware is one of if not the best on the market based on the price and no one will disagree that there service is second to none. If you run two 4s 5000mAh packs in series you should get about 30-40mins depending on how you drive it. The harder you drive it the more amps it will go through and your runtime will be less. respectively the more mAh you have ie 6000 or 7000mAh packs the longer the run times.

Once the cars is converted it should weigh about the same give or take a few hundred grams, but the car will have twice the torque and some to spare so the speeds will be huge. The cost of running and maintaining the car is the same. You will still have to pay for breakages the only increased cost is tyres, they will chew them faster from the extra power/torque and speed created. However there are no fuel bills or motor up keep costs except for a two bearings every now and than. I change mine every time i do the car bearings.

Charge times depend largely on the batteries/charger and power supply you have. The top batteries can do charge times as low as 15 minutes.

Yes the initial cost of electric is greater but once you go there you will not run gas again. I simply bought the gas kits, sold the engine and pipe and that paid for most of the electric costs.

Here is a link to my Leo4 that i converted it is an all out build, not much if anything will stop it. It is jaw drooping to see a buggy that heavy flip over from torque and power.

https://www.largescaleforums.com/showthread.php?p=180083#post180083

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks