Electric or mechanical brake?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EV0LVE

I bought a used 5ive B that's already setup as electric and it uses the engine to brake, as expected. I'm wondering if using a mechanical brake, with a brake throttle will help save the battery and prolong motor life?

it just seems like a lot stress is put on the motor to stop all that momentum and weight from speed. Im also used to gas power so i'm a
little more used to mechanical brakes and the adjustability than an electric braking which just bites.

Thoughts?

if brake bias is something you want to play with mechanical brakes are way more adjustable. if your chasing simplicity then using the motor/esc will get the job done. If safety is your concern a mechanical break may be the best option a disconnected battery, failed motor or esc with no mechanical break could be very dangerous.

Depends on what you're doing... if you're just bashing it you probably won't stress things out enough to worry about it. If you're driving on a track maybe you would want to think about it but mostly for tuning purposes. I've built a bunch of electric 5ive-b and sometimes they get mechanical brakes and sometimes they don't. It's mainly personal preference.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks