Engine choices

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Papabear_1972

I am in the market for a new RC buggy. My choices are the Losi DBXL-E and the Armma 1/5 scale Kraton 4X4 8S BLX Brushless Speed Monster Truck RTR. THE Losi comes with a Spektrum Firma 4-Pole 780Kv Brushless Motor, and the Armma comes with a Spektrum™ Firma™ 1250Kv Brushless Motor.

keep in mind that the Losi motor is a four pole motor, and the Armma motor is only a two pole motor.
given that, which engine and car should have more acceleration and a higher top speed?

My vote goes toward the Kraton 8S. Jumps really nicely. Idk if it's just those tires they come with or what but it's nice.

Also an engine runs on a fuel and motors run on electricity.
Tell that to General Motors :LOL: With all this new electric crap coming to market I guess they have some soul searching to do.

My vote goes toward the Kraton 8S. Jumps really nicely. Idk if it's just those tires they come with or what but it's nice.

Tell that to General Motors :LOL: With all this new electric crap coming to market I guess they have some soul searching to do.
They won't be making engines by 2035 I think was their statement. Also rep is correct. Engines run on fuel motors are electric.

Losi will be faster with right gearing as you can gear higher because of the low kv. The Kraton has a transmission and the losi comes with center diff. For jumping and bashing Kraton will be better but get ready to bend axles, broken arms and bend shock shafts. Losi is a dessert buggy and is not really meant for big jumps but it is definitely better quality.

if you have the $$ I would offer the third option, Kraton 8s EXB. then you can throw your own electronics. it has a good bit of useful upgrades as well over the RTR which is why it's a little more expensive.

Losi will be faster with right gearing as you can gear higher because of the low kv. The Kraton has a transmission and the losi comes with center diff. For jumping and bashing Kraton will be better but get ready to bend axles, broken arms and bend shock shafts. Losi is a dessert buggy and is not really meant for big jumps but it is definitely better quality.
Well yes but actually no. The dbxl has a lower kv to support it size and weight, with the kraton being lighter it doesn’t need as low a kv rating. Also, out of the box the kraton does have a lot of room to gear up, without sacrificing much temps and tourqe, gearing up the dbxl to hit kraton speeds would be unreasonable to ask from the stock system and even the truck. The dbxl is not built to go as fast or fly as high as the k8. I offer a third option also. The xmaxx. The k8 has very brittle plastics causing the arms to break easily off jumps, and the disadvantage of the metal chassis. Even after u upgrade these, there always seems to be a weak spot. To get a kraton as durable as it xmaxx it would cost u a lot. The xmaxx is lighter, much tougher, plastic chassis won’t bend, arms are tough (haven’t broken one yet after about 4 years of ownership). And overall with very minor upgrades it’s a tank. Geared right it could hit close to 60 and still be bashable. Also it’s incredible easy to work on over the other platforms and parts are far cheaper.

I own both rigs , and run them alot , they are both crazy fun ,with new 5 scale servo tray and servo in the k-8 it's difference between of night and day , that thing is awesome ! I've dumped all kinds of upgrades on the losi dbxl-e , just because it's so dam fun to bash around , I put Max tires on it , get out if the way !!! 🤣😂😁😀 , Just my opinion of two trucks I run two to three times a week on our new track area , it's all grass and endless space , give the dbxl a lot of speed before a jump and that thing lands like a spider Everytime , I've broke nothing on it at all ,,yet ,,, as for the k-8 there's a reason I call it my land squid , never leaves the ground on corners , I actually have been able to , like drift it in the dry grads corners , that 5 scale servo does that stuff , thing is also a blast , so if your asking g my opinion , there you go ,,, get both !! For some strange reason I did 🤣😂😁

Well yes but actually no. The dbxl has a lower kv to support it size and weight, with the kraton being lighter it doesn’t need as low a kv rating. Also, out of the box the kraton does have a lot of room to gear up, without sacrificing much temps and tourqe, gearing up the dbxl to hit kraton speeds would be unreasonable to ask from the stock system and even the truck. The dbxl is not built to go as fast or fly as high as the k8. I offer a third option also. The xmaxx. The k8 has very brittle plastics causing the arms to break easily off jumps, and the disadvantage of the metal chassis. Even after u upgrade these, there always seems to be a weak spot. To get a kraton as durable as it xmaxx it would cost u a lot. The xmaxx is lighter, much tougher, plastic chassis won’t bend, arms are tough (haven’t broken one yet after about 4 years of ownership). And overall with very minor upgrades it’s a tank. Geared right it could hit close to 60 and still be bashable. Also it’s incredible easy to work on over the other platforms and parts are far cheaper.
Thank you..,.I have been involved in this decision myself for about 6 months.....well said
if you have the $$ I would offer the third option, Kraton 8s EXB. then you can throw your own electronics. it has a good bit of useful upgrades as well over the RTR which is why it's a little more expensive.
I have been battling between K8S EXB and XMaxx for a while.....a part of me really REALLY wants the EXB, but it's really hard to overlook the XMaxx durability and less expensive parts....

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks