Engine finally good but...?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VegaNate

It took awhile but I got the engine to hit the power-band, but as I stopped to adjust the carb again and went to go, the engine revved but the truck wouldn't go. I checked the drivelines and they too weren't going, to probably not a grub screw. I will check the clutch to see if maybe something came off or whatever.--nate:(

It took awhile but I got the engine to hit the power-band, but as I stopped to adjust the carb again and went to go, the engine revved but the truck wouldn't go. I checked the drivelines and they too weren't going, to probably not a grub screw. I will check the clutch to see if maybe something came off or whatever.--nate:([/QUOTE pull your side guards off and check your plastic gears.

any time nate ,also don't forget to tighten you wheel nuts before and afteryou run,and don't be shy on them nither .keep on rocken buddy when i get home in two more weeks i will have all kinds of stuff to do to mine.

Well, the square behind the final gear has some set screws in it. No locktight on them and they backed out. I'm putting some blue locktite on it & hopefully will have my truck back.

Bryan, will that include a new FG and or a MCD pro truck?

It is taking about a third of a block for this engine to hit the power-band, is this normal? With the supposed 7HP I think this engine should be brutal from the go. 4 tanks thru it. I could gear it down I guess but should I have to with the stock monster gearing? I'm still waiting to have an ounce of pleasure with this truck. I know it's not the trucks fault, if I have to, I'll put in a different motor. Should I be more patient? Are the rings seated? AAAARRRRGG!!

Bryan, what gearing are you using?--nate

how does the motor itself run? could be gearing, could be l jetting, could be a few different things. sorry i missed the motor specs. what you running?

I'm running the Oneill bros 30.5 with reed box and port work. Jetpro pipe. I took the reed box off, and the reeds were loose imo. I don't know much about reeds but shouldn't they be closed when the engine is off?:helpsmilie: --nate

can you get some pics? could really help. i would be calling oniels for some cs. see what options they offer considering they built the motr? see what s up.
a loose reed cage would DEFINATLY cause a problem, anything loose will from the carby to the exhaust.
yes i do believe they should be closed. does your reed itself have a stamp or name on it? if so i have heard those are fairly Shippy. but a better reed and you should be better off. or maybe OBros CS can hook you up if the reed itself is bunk.
T

nate your stock gearing is probly holding you back ,call troy and talk to him i have a diiffrent set of gears i just have not had time to install them i cant remember the #s on the gears .but they will help with spped alot ,also get the gear chart from them also.it will help you to fine tune to gearing some. bryan

Got some lower gears but they didn't do the trick so I put it back to stock. I can get the low end and high end to clean out, but the mid range just bogs it right down. I've had a guy with more experience try, but still bogging down on the mid. Is it the pipe? Jetpro for this truck. Kind of at a loss. I'll call Oneill next week. Right now I'm at my company's semi-annual shutdown this week, ALL week.--nate

I have the CY 30.5 and a jetpro pipe in mine. I have it geared up about mid way and it gets on the pipe in about 15 feet i have not got it broke in good yet but this bad boy screams I cant wait to get the time to get some fuel ran through it so i can see what it can really do

Last edited:
I haven't had time to get back here for a while but I did work on the MCD recently. I have come to the decision to take the reed box off of the 30.5 motor. I'll let you know how it works once it's off.

The reason being is that I don't think the reeds are opening up enough to let the motor come up on the pipe. Also when or if they do open, there is not much room for them to open very much.

Does anyone have the Oneill's reed kit on their motor? I would like to know how it's working out for others. This is the only thing that I can think of that would be hindering this motor. I have been told that the pipe is the wrong one for the rpm range on this motor but I don't believe it.-- nate

the pipe can make a HUGE differance. one look at the DDM Dominator and the JPv3 on a baja and the differances are very apparent.

What Reed Cage do you have on there?
also, once the cylinder is ported for the reed cage, it will likely not run right without it.

you could be having an issue, but if you got the OBros motor and they put the reed cage in, i d be on the phone with them being the builder of the motor.

After messing around with this motor for what seems like forever, I traded the carburator on the MCD with the one on my XTM buggy.(the buggy ran great) The truck now runs like the monster that it's supposed to be! FINALLY!! It runs awesome and jumps great! I love it! It powerslides like crazy, and really churns up the dirt. --nate

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks